Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Interesting about the extra rise, I'll mention that to him. Thanks!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Make lemon or raspberry curd and save some of them to add to scrambled eggs.

Lemon curd is very tasty on angel food cake!

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When I have yolks or the whites left over from making something, I usually treat the girls to scrambled yolks (or whites).

If you want to save the yolks, I'd freeze them first and then cook later.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Still thinking about the egg yolks….the lemon curd sounds nice. Freezing or refrigeration for chicken treating and future baking is likely what I will do. But sources state they will freeze better and come back better with either a little salt or sugar depending on how one plans to use them. Watched a couple of you tube videos, one freezes them in a sugar water and the other just places them in a container, cover with water and last several days in fridge.

My favorite is egg custard..[​IMG] But I do love french toast.

The most interesting idea is french toast with only egg yolks…lots of on line recipes. Saved the one with this pic in my recipe gotta try. Banana foster french toast [​IMG] This would be really nice with left over home baked bread.

[​IMG]
    Has to be healthy since it has fruit..[​IMG]
    And the newest info is that the yolks are not really bad cholesterol and they help prevent macular degeneration….

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ohh, that French toast with bananas looks wonderful! If it has fruit, it has to be good for you. And no one wants macular degeneration, that wouldn't be fun at all. Guess we'll just have to eat it because our health demands it, lol.

I almost made some Challah bread today but just can't seem to get it in gear, maybe tomorrow. DH is making one of my favorites for dinner, his chili. I can't be expected to think about bread when I have chili on my mind. Besides, he'll mess up enough dishes all on his own, I don't need to add to the kitchen disaster, right?

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    What good is Chili without a nice, warm slice of bread to dip into it?

I asked HD last night what he wanted for supper, my ideas were Potato Soup or Chili. he said Chili, because that would go best with that last loaf of bread you made ... I caught him stacking chili on his bread and eating it like a sandwich [​IMG]

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds kinda like a Chili Sloppy Joe..

Actually sounds pretty good. [​IMG]

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Keep your fingers crossed...[​IMG]

Got my first try at Angel Food Cake in the oven. Wish I had a video to post, sure I could get some kind of Chevy Chase Award..:)

Don't know why but I got nervous ( except 12 EGGS!) when separating the egg whites. Only broke 2 yolk…but kept throwing the shell in the whites only bowl.
    Now I have 14 yolks in my freezer :(

The egg white part was easy, but folding in the flour/sugar mixture was such a mess. And the batter truly farted x 2 sending flour up at me about 10 inches above the bowl

. Not kidding, DH was about 15 feet away in another room and heard it…[​IMG] Fresh eggs do have a lot of power. It left a ring of light flouring around the bowl. Should have moved the beaten egg whites to a larger bowl…but noooo, instead I folded the flour/sugar in the deep KA mixer bowl. Egg white batter was all over everywhere.

Found some Florida strawberries at grocery this am…[​IMG] So eggcited they were from USA! And they look like real strawberries and not gargantuan GMO.

And best of all, since my DH really wanted me to try the AF cake, he is cleaning all that mess up for me...[​IMG]

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Angel food cake update. Thought I would never get it out of the pan. Mine pan is a one piece. Cake looks scruffy, but tasted the crust that was left in the pan…and it is really good. Thanks NorthFlChick, without your posts, I would never have tried this. Can't wait for dessert tonite

..[​IMG]

Now I know why those in the grocery bakery are sold in the pan and not exposing the whole cake..[​IMG]

P.S. guess the sweeties heard I wasted a lot of eggs today..got 5 eggs from my 6 hens…first time in forever...

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by