Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] You got that right Ron! Yummmmmm!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a one piece Nordic ware " pound cake/angel food cake pan" I bought last year to do my mom's BIG pound cake. Just pulled it out to look at it and on the bottom it says "angel food!" It is only one piece…but really want to see if it can do tha Angel food cake…wish me luck.…gonna get some strawberries and try it this weekend…..guess I'll be clothes shopping next week…but really, it's not that many calories if I go short on whipped cream...[​IMG]

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I am itching to get my plants going also. It is probably time. But seeing as we are going to be -7 degrees tonight, I am not in too big of a hurry.

Where in WY? I lived near Cheyenne for 7 years. It is a different climate out there. The best gardening advice I can give is to protect the plants from the winds.

I love Angel Food Cake! I need to practice making it, practice makes perfect, right? It is food dessert for diets. I need the cake pan with the removable bottom, my last angel food cake come out in pieces.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yay, go for it!

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You're ahead of me, but you should be where you are….

My Hen's love the Marigold green leaves…they will only eat the flowers when they have the seedy things still attached. Try letting the flowers get kinda old and pull and scatter?

Big plans for tomorrow: get eggplant seeds started, maybe my zinnias and marigolds too?

But will try an Angel food cake..so, so jealous and have to try it…if my Nordic pan doesn't work out, will get a committed type pan.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Oh no, gonna try the AFC in a pan that says it will work with a non removable bottom…but hey.. worst to worst..pull it out and pile strawberries and whip cream on top...[​IMG]

We get to plan here about mid April…wish you could too. Last year was my first year starting seeds indoors and transplanting…really was a bumper crop.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The best stuff is vintage…..kinda like me, ? us?

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Cheyenne is where they are going! I think they are going to have some challenges we don't here, like a shorter growing season, winds and a drier climate but they love the area and are already making plans for a greenhouse, watering system, etc. They actually lived in WY once before so they shouldn't be too surprised.

Now I'll have WY relatives in Laramie, Sheridan and Cheyenne. Hmm, wonder if anyone ever moves from Florida TO Wyoming. What am I thinking, I get cold here!

Hey and the angel food cake, remember there's no cholesterol in it, heck, it's mainly egg whites. Perfect dessert for everyone!

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    With a greenhouse they will have no problem growing most anything. I was west of town at about 7440 feet and grew a wide variety of vegetables. Spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peas, beans, bok choi, I'm not sure what else. One word of advice though, if they make homemade bread it will need three rises before you bake it. With the high altitudes (use less yeast also) it rises too fast for good gluten formation, so you need to punch it down and rise an extra time. If you let it rise for an hour, it will over rise and break all the gluten strands that are forming and it will not get good texture.

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Dumb question:

What do you do with 12 egg yolks?? the KA recipe for AF cake is just egg whites. I know I can search…but know you can freeze them. What do you think is the best plan…cook and freeze or freeze to bring back and cook….Really, that's a lot of yolks…:) don't want to waste those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by