Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , I made your mac & cheese recipe (minus the mustard powder) for lunch today. I used 3 different cheeses from our stash and it was so good! Thank you sunflour!

2. boxofpens

boxofpens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas

I used a recipe from pioneer woman recently that had coffee and maple syrup in the frosting. It was really good. Just tasted a hint of each, nothing overpowering.

1 person likes this.
  3. boxofpens

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    I have a question for everyone:

My last batch of bread (white, sandwich type) dropped/flattened out while baking. Any idea what would have caused this? My husband thinks it got too cold before going in the oven, but our house was around 65-70 degrees at the time. Is that too cold? I had it rising in the oven with the light on originally, then had to take it out so I could use the oven for something else. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sometimes if you let the bread rise too fast or too long it will fall when baked. Or maybe it was the interruption between rising and later baking? Those are my guesses, what does everyone else think?

And sometimes even when the bread doesn't look perfect, it still tastes good (been there, done that) [​IMG]

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    A bit too much yeast will cause this. Next time add a bit less yeast. I use bulk yeast and replace each packet in the recipe with a teaspoon of yeast.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ok, the angel food cake is in the oven. I'm holding my breath waiting to see how this turns out (it's my 1st). Glad I waited until now to try this cake because last night we found strawberries on sale. So, even if the cake is a mess, it will be covered in berries and whipped cream, lol. So how bad can it be right?

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am sure it will be great!

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    With the large bubbles on the top and how it flattened, my first instinct is to say it was over-risen; at least at the top. Is your oven light at the top of the oven? the bread may have been too close possibly. It could also be the oven rising, then the cold counter sitting before baking; but since your house temp was ok, I think more of an over-rising issue. It would have been a longer rise to sit on the counter the whole time, but I think you would have gotten a more consistent rise.

9. boxofpens

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    Despite it's looks, it was actually quite YUMMY! [​IMG] And it did rise pretty fast.

I do tend to add "just a little bit more" when it comes to yeast [​IMG] . I didn't know too much yeast would cause bread to do that.

The oven light is at the top, and it seemed to rise pretty fast initially, before I took it out and put it on the counter. So it was probably a combination of several things.

Thanks everyone for your input!!! This particular bread is so good, & I was bummed that it came out so flat.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Glad you liked it. My mom used to just mix the cooked macaroni with eggs, milk and cut up cheese and bake. My DH learned to cook kinda late in life…cause I wouldn't [​IMG]. Anyway he is the one who discovered the recipe on the box and I do like it better than mom's even tho takes a little more time.
    Now that is definitely more eggciting than waffles. Hope it turned out for you.

@boxofpens the final product is the object, home made is so much better than a perfect pic…Although IMO the bread looked great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by