Any Home Bakers Here?

Today's after laying Hen treat menu:

Grilled pork tenderloin, shredded collard leaves and raisins. Dried cranberry would have been better, but it went to the compost last week.

Can anyone tell I am not baking…taking a forced break to avoid shopping for larger clothes.
he.gif

@sunflour , I see you have the Ball herb scissors! Me too, picked them up last summer and boy, are they cool. I was just telling my brother about them earlier today when he mentioned starting an herb garden. I love them, sure makes cutting herbs so much faster!

I think mine were about $8 at Wal-Mart if anyone else wants to look into them. A real time-saver.

@sunflour , I see you have the Ball herb scissors! Me too, picked them up last summer and boy, are they cool. I was just telling my brother about them earlier today when he mentioned starting an herb garden. I love them, sure makes cutting herbs so much faster!

I think mine were about $8 at Wal-Mart if anyone else wants to look into them. A real time-saver.
Yes I love them. Last summer I cut a tiny, but painful tip off a finger cutting up radish greens for the girls and got these to protect my digits. Got mine on Amazon, about the same price. Really love them. Before that had made a baste mix for (OMG) grilled chicken with rosemary…was quite difficult to cut up with plain kitchen scissors. These herb scissors work very well, but the girls get the most benefit..and no crop issues with shredding greeny things.
smile.png

Not herbs, but veggie thought: just realized I am behind. Gotta get eggplant seeds going in my basement/garage diy "grow station".

I love to grow Basil & Marigold as garden companions, and the chickens love those too...
jumpy.gif

What does your brother grow?

*** sorry guys, I know this is a baker's forum, but is is my favorite on BYC and can't help off thread posts***

Here's today's angel food cake! The recipe was from King Arthur and here's the link if you all want to try it:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/traditional-angel-food-cake-recipe

Angel food on wine, lol (had to cool like this for 1 1/2 hrs)

Naked angel food cake

Fully clothed and ready for eating!

This was a really good recipe; easy to do and very tasty. I think I may have enjoyed this cake more than the cheesecake (at least the guilt factor wasn't as big).

Here's today's angel food cake! The recipe was from King Arthur and here's the link if you all want to try it:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/traditional-angel-food-cake-recipe

Angel food on wine, lol (had to cool like this for 1 1/2 hrs)

Naked angel food cake

Fully clothed and ready for eating!

This was a really good recipe; easy to do and very tasty. I think I may have enjoyed this cake more than the cheesecake (at least the guilt factor wasn't as big).
That really " takes the cake". Great job..
clap.gif
So, so jealous. Gotta try it, even if I have to buy larger pants…lol.

Told DH about this one..he's the chef for food needs, I bake….And now I have to try this for sure.

What Kind of pan is that? Gotta find one tomorrow and try it...
droolin.gif

Yes I love them. Last summer I cut a tiny, but painful tip off a finger cutting up radish greens for the girls and got these to protect my digits. Got mine on Amazon, about the same price. Really love them. Before that had made a baste mix for (OMG) grilled chicken with rosemary…was quite difficult to cut up with plain kitchen scissors. These herb scissors work very well, but the girls get the most benefit..and no crop issues with shredding greeny things.
smile.png

Not herbs, but veggie thought: just realized I am behind. Gotta get eggplant seeds going in my basement/garage diy "grow station".

I love to grow Basil & Marigold as garden companions, and the chickens love those too...
jumpy.gif

What does your brother grow?

*** sorry guys, I know this is a baker's forum, but is is my favorite on BYC and can't help off thread posts***

We had 3 really nice eggplants growing in the greenhouse but then came that last freeze and zip, no more eggplant. I started some yesterday again, guess it was too early last time.

I got my Basil planted about a week ago and it's popping up in the seed trays. I also planted Zinnia's this year just because I like them and Marigolds are going to be started this weekend (for those I'm using seeds I saved from last year's plants). Last year the chickens wouldn't touch the Marigolds but they love lettuce and greens so I have a lot more of those things started, mostly for them.

Re: my brother, right now he & his wife live on a big old sailboat in the Bahamas most of the year so they can't grow anything. But when they passed through our place last year, they were inspired to do something similar to us (on a much larger scale, lol) and bought a house with 10 acres in WY. They're really looking forward to having a huge veggie garden, an herb garden and fruit trees plus lots of berry bushes. We've been having lots of fun talking plants. Plus he's the cook and baker in his family so we usually have ideas and recipes to share. He's fascinated by our chickens and likes to kid me about when are we making tacos out of them...the guy loves to eat and will eat anything that isn't locked up! He's an interesting character and I love him to bits.

That really " takes the cake". Great job..
clap.gif
So, so jealous. Gotta try it, even if I have to buy larger pants…lol.

Told DH about this one..he's the chef for food needs, I bake….And now I have to try this for sure.

What Kind of pan is that? Gotta find one tomorrow and try it...
droolin.gif

Yep, an angel food pan. It was part of the baking loot I got from my Mom last month when we helped her get her house ready to put on the market. She's had it forever but I suppose the newer ones are pretty much the same (minus the dings).

I just looked at the one on Amazon. Mine doesn't have a removable bottom, it's all one piece.

Sunflour, if you pick up one of these cake pans, be sure you don't get a non-stick one. The batter has to stick to the sides to help it rise and then when it's fully cooled, you have to use a serrated knife to loosen the cake from the pan. Plain metal works best (and is probably a bit less expensive too).

Yep, an angel food pan. It was part of the baking loot I got from my Mom last month when we helped her get her house ready to put on the market. She's had it forever but I suppose the newer ones are pretty much the same (minus the dings).
I have had mine since 1984.

I love Angel food cake!

home made is much better too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom