Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

[​IMG] You DID it! Yay!!!! It looks fabulous, exactly as it should. And even with all the comedy associated with making it (farting batter? lol), that is one SERIOUS looking cake.
    Way to go sunflour! [​IMG]

And kudos to DH for cleaning up.

2. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    And it's fine that you have some of MY Florida strawberries as long as I get some of YOUR Georgia peaches this summer! [​IMG]

3. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    I love baking. I enter the local fair with baked goods. Last year my orange cake got second, but my cherry crisp got first.

I just made a white cake today for my sons birthday on Sunday. He wants white chocolate frosting. I saved the yolks and will use them for french toast to be served next week.

My oldest wants to learn how to decorate cakes.

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Share those recipes!

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi tash, glad you could join us! Congrats on winning 1st and 2nd place at the fair.

Would love to know how to make the white chocolate frosting, care to share your recipe?

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hi task. So glad you decided to join this thread. I cannot imagine baking anything to enter in a contest. Congratulations on your success.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , so how was the angel food cake and berries last night?

1 person likes this.
  8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Great. Better than any angel food cake I have ever had ( only had store bought before). I really love the texture of the KA recipe and used their unbleached all purpose flour. Thank you so much for the idea and your trial of their recipe.

The Florida strawberries were so sweet, didn't have to add any sugar. Honestly, the best tasting strawberries we have bought in so many years.

But could only eat a small slice :( - we made a "spaghetti bake" for supper and even trying to eat a smaller portion so I could have dessert, I was really too full for it….but ate it anyway…lol.

Today plan to just have a whopping slice with strawberries and cool whip for lunch.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good plan! I may just have to join you! [​IMG]

I agree with you about that recipe being so much better than store bought. It has that "melt in your mouth" feel/taste. Funny, I got that old angel food pan from my mom but I only remember her bringing home store-bought ones. [​IMG] I don't remember ever having had a homemade AF cake before this one.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I wish I had my mom's angel food cake pan. It had a removable bottom and feet along the rim so it didn't need to be balanced on a bottle for cooling, the feet kept the pan elevated off the countertop. She made angel food cakes about 4 times a year, but I never have. The closest I got was mixing an angel food cake mix and a devils food cake mix together for the 3-2-1 coffecup cake mix. (in a coffee cup add 3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, stir for 1 minute, microwave for 1 minute, enjoy)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by