Any Home Bakers Here?

I'm spamming you guys today
wink.png
We have a recipe contest running over here, if you bakers and cooks are interested:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...icken-and-egg-recipes-win-a-byc-cookbook/0_30

We'd like to wrap it up sometime in the not-too-distant future, but we need a few more recipes!

For whatever reason, I haven't taken a bunch of pics lately and shared enough in this thread. My littlest one ADORES holidays and finding a way to celebrate with food. So, for April Fools she wanted to make something we could trick everyone with and we went on an internet search. We found what we needed, and had "dessert" for dinner trying to fool the others in the house. They weren't very tricked (must be something about how MOM would never serve dessert for dinner, hates carrot cake, and they didn't smell anything sweet baking! ha!). But we had fun!!!!

Here's our April Fool's Day Carrot Cake Dinner:

That's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, a lovely pea filling, and decorations made from tinted cream cheese and bread crumbs along the sides. All served up on my favorite Cake dish of course. ;) While we didn't fool anyone completely, my husband did scrape off his "icing" decorations and put them on my plate. When I asked him why, and told him that the cream cheese actually added nice to the flavor of the potatoes he laughed a bit in shock. Apparently, he DID think THEY were really frosting! ha ha! Can you imagine frosting on potatoes? ewwwwww! ;)

Very Cool!!

Best Spam I've been exposed to in a while! ;) I submitted a recipe!

BUTTER - ha! I learned about making butter in a mixer by accident when I was young. My mom wasn't too happy that she'd have to run out to the store to pick up more whipping cream. I purposely made butter with my girls one day because my husband picked up both heavy cream and whipping cream for me (ahhh... I didn't know which to get! You wrote down whipping cream OR heavy cream - so I got both... it's ok honey, they're almost the same thing but I knew if I wrote whipping cream and they didn't have any, I'd get nothing), so they wouldn't make the same mistake I did! I wish I'd have done the research you all have though about rinsing the butter! That's great info. to have should I decide to try this again! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

On a side note, have you ever used mascarpone cheese in place of butter? OMG! AMAZING on toast!!!! Even better: some mascarpone, fresh minced garlic, some parmesan cheese... see where I'm going here? BEST GARLIC BREAD EVER!

Best Spam I've been exposed to in a while! ;) I submitted a recipe!

BUTTER - ha! I learned about making butter in a mixer by accident when I was young. My mom wasn't too happy that she'd have to run out to the store to pick up more whipping cream. I purposely made butter with my girls one day because my husband picked up both heavy cream and whipping cream for me (ahhh... I didn't know which to get! You wrote down whipping cream OR heavy cream - so I got both... it's ok honey, they're almost the same thing but I knew if I wrote whipping cream and they didn't have any, I'd get nothing), so they wouldn't make the same mistake I did! I wish I'd have done the research you all have though about rinsing the butter! That's great info. to have should I decide to try this again! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

On a side note, have you ever used mascarpone cheese in place of butter? OMG! AMAZING on toast!!!! Even better: some mascarpone, fresh minced garlic, some parmesan cheese... see where I'm going here? BEST GARLIC BREAD EVER!

I thought I posted this already but guess not...I saw your recipe and it looks great! Good luck in the contest.

Haven't posted in a grip, been swamped, got my sourdough starter going....will be back to post my mad bread making skills when I start. :lau

Thanks @ronott1 :frow is it ok to keep this on the counter or should it go in the fridge?

We currently have five differ fermentation processes going on at our house, water kefir, kombucha, sourdough, baby chick feed and adult flock feed.

Last edited:

Haven't posted in a grip, been swamped, got my sourdough starter going....will be back to post my mad bread making skills when I start.
lau.gif

Thanks @ronott1
frow.gif
is it ok to keep this on the counter or should it go in the fridge?

We currently have five differ fermentation processes going on at our house, water kefir, kombucha, sourdough, baby chick feed and adult flock feed.
Nice!

Once it is bubbly, you can put it into the fridge--take it out and either use it or feed it once a week.

Have fun!

Haven't posted in a grip, been swamped, got my sourdough starter going....will be back to post my mad bread making skills when I start.
lau.gif

Thanks @ronott1
frow.gif
is it ok to keep this on the counter or should it go in the fridge?

That's a whole lot of fermenting going on...hope you have the containers labeled
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom