Any Home Bakers Here?

I am trying to make healthier treats.
I so want to get fit, and I buy garbage -get annoyed with myself -and throw it in the trash.

I feel you on the weight loss! I have been working my tail off, and taking a prescription medication to up my metabolism to help. I've lost about 25 lbs in the past six months. I've very much missed my fresh homemade baked goods. However, it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. I think the medicine helps a lot with cravings though... I'm almost never hungry. On the other hand, that makes if far more difficult to do what was suggested by ronott1, eat from all food groups! I found a bread in the store that I'm in love with... "extra grainy"... it reminds me of an Irish Brown Break recipe I made once, chock full of every nut and seed one can get their hands on! Most of those taste horrible, and none of them taste like fresh homemade Italian bread! ha ha!

Drink water, lots of it! Since I don't get enough fruits and veggies (unless it's fresh during the summertime), I drink a lot of V8 and smoothies too.
Here's what was for lunch today:

Strawberries, pineapple, yogurt, milk -- I'm in love with my Ninja, though I haven't been able to bring myself to put spinach in yet. That's what all the "healthy" and "weight loss" smoothies call for. Nope, I'll take my baby spinach with some dressing, thank you very much!

I eat spinach every day, but I could not ninja it either.
I like chewing things.

I wish I could speed up my metabolism, I figure the more I exercise, the more iMy body will figure out what it is supposed to do with calories.
Meanwhile, Yea eggs!
They are such a satisfying food and fresh daily!

this is kinda random, but one of my neighbors gave me some gluten free cake the other day i ate half of a piece and after that half it made me sick like 15 20 mins later. then i ate more later and the same thing happened. is that normal with gluten free food? or was it something that she put in it that made me sick?
As 3goodeggs said, it could be one of the ingredients you are sensitive to. My brother used to throw up if he ate almonds. If the recipe used almond meal, almonds might be a possible "culprit". I think almonds are quite a common thing that people can be sensitive to.

this is kinda random, but one of my neighbors gave me some gluten free cake the other day i ate half of a piece and after that half it made me sick like 15 20 mins later. then i ate more later and the same thing happened. is that normal with gluten free food? or was it something that she put in it that made me sick?

Yeah gluten free flour is just things like corn flour or almond flour or coconut flour. So you may have a bit of an intollerance to one of them.

Actually made a gluten free pizza last night. One of my daughters friends has an intollerance (throws up when she overdoes it) so thought I'd give it a go. Just did my normal recipe but used a packaged gluten free flour. Only difference was that I only had self raising flour not all purpose and threw some fibre mix in it. It turned out really nice. The regular flour made a thick crust pizza and it made a thin crust one, the yeast did nothing much, but honestly would happily eat it as a pizza base.

Last edited:
Yeah gluten free flour is just things like corn flour or almond flour or coconut flour. So you may have a bit of an intollerance to one of them.

Actually made a gluten free pizza last night. One of my daughters friends has an intollerance (throws up when she overdoes it) so thought I'd give it a go. Just did my normal recipe but used a packaged gluten free flour. Only difference was that I only had self raising flour not all purpose and threw some fibre mix in it. It turned out really nice. The regular flour made a thick crust pizza and it made a thin crust one, the yeast did nothing much, but honestly would happily eat it as a pizza base.

As 3goodeggs said, it could be one of the ingredients you are sensitive to. My brother used to throw up if he ate almonds. If the recipe used almond meal, almonds might be a possible "culprit". I think almonds are quite a common thing that people can be sensitive to.

well i guess that explains it then. there was a coconut flavor and i think she had coconut on the bottom of it. i think there was also nuts in it too. maybe the combination of both.

thanks for the info i tried to look this up on google before i asked but i couldnt find anything.

My first attempt at whole wheat sourdough bread. I love it. I'm sure it isn't perfect but turned out to me to be real nice. Also made some banana bread. Took a little break from bread making.

My first attempt at whole wheat sourdough bread. I love it. I'm sure it isn't perfect but turned out to me to be real nice. Also made some banana bread. Took a little break from bread making.

It's a good feeling to like the way your efforts work out, isn't it cmom. Congrats!

:weee - it's alive! Here the past couple days, I was thinking I had done the starter wrong. It wasn't smelling much, but after it's morning meal this am, I came to find it like this. Pretty exciting stuff. My sourdough journey has begun.

Back
Top Bottom