Any Home Bakers Here?

If you get a jar like I posted, the air will escape and not let air in. The sourdough will keep longer and better that way.

I bought one from target in the $5.00 to $10 range. Burlington Coat Factory had one too.

Well I am glad that I posted here! It did not occur to me that the jar could be a problem! I have been leaving it partially threaded, not sealed. Should I tighten the lid completely shut? Better kept in the fridge or on the counter?
Thank you @ronott1, @sunflourand @appps!

What rottnot said!

Definatly don't seal it! It produces gas, if you seal it there is nowhere for the gas to go and it will crack the glass. Till you get a better one just sit it loosely on top without screwing it at all. When it's up and running you will find that jar is way too small anyway.

Well I am glad that I posted here! It did not occur to me that the jar could be a problem! I have been leaving it partially threaded, not sealed. Should I tighten the lid completely shut? Better kept in the fridge or on the counter?
Thank you @ronott1 , @sunflour and @appps !

I keep mine in the fridge.

There's a lot of helpful Sourdough info on King Arthur Flour's website on care, feeding and use of the starter.

I haven't been much of a participant on here recently...partly because there just aren't enough hours in the day with work taking so much of my time. Also, I've developed a gluten sensitivity and have been avoiding wheat. I miss baking, it was always such a relaxing thing to do and fun to enjoy the fruits of the labor.

Keep up the good work bakers, I'm baking vicariously through you!

I haven't been much of a participant on here recently...partly because there just aren't enough hours in the day with work taking so much of my time. Also, I've developed a gluten sensitivity and have been avoiding wheat. I miss baking, it was always such a relaxing thing to do and fun to enjoy the fruits of the labor.

Keep up the good work bakers, I'm baking vicariously through you!
hugs.gif

We still love to see you!!

I'm going to bake today. I dried some starter and then reconstituted it. The smaller bowl is from the dried and the larger bowl was started from scratch. I have the plastic lids that came with the bowls. I do put it in the fridge when not planning on using it. I took it out a couple of days ago and started feeding it for baking today. Also I'm going to dry more today.

Last edited:
I'm going to bake today. I dried some starter and then reconstituted it. The smaller bowl is from the dried and the larger bowl was started from scratch. I have the plastic lids that came with the bowls. I do put it in the fridge when not planning on using it. I took it out a couple of days ago and started feeding it for baking today. Also I'm going to dry more today.
I love the table cloth!

That's weird, so did a quick google: There's a recall on some of the Gold Medal flours for E Coli contamination - maybe they are checking lot numbers?

Here's the link:

http://www.generalmills.com/flour

Wonder how flour can get E Coli?
barnie.gif

havent been on here for a while. i just used this flour last night. guess i will find out soon if it had e coli.

so i just found this site http://www.generalmills.com/en/News...ay/flour/61cede4c-0536-4ccb-87f1-01a84e61ba53
and it says for the 5 pound bag ap flour which i bought it says used by dates from may 25 to jun 24 2017 are recalled and the upc for it is 000-16000-10610

my use by date on my bag is july 25 2017 and my upc number is 0 16000 10610 9
is that bad? or am i fine?

the bread i made with the flour it looks good and it tasted good. lets home its not e coli bread

Last edited:
havent been on here for a while. i just used this flour last night. guess i will find out soon if it had e coli.

so i just found this site http://www.generalmills.com/en/News...ay/flour/61cede4c-0536-4ccb-87f1-01a84e61ba53
and it says for the 5 pound bag ap flour which i bought it says used by dates from may 25 to jun 24 2017 are recalled and the upc for it is 000-16000-10610

my use by date on my bag is july 25 2017 and my upc number is 0 16000 10610 9
is that bad? or am i fine?

the bread i made with the flour it looks good and it tasted good. lets home its not e coli bread

The bread looks great!

According to the website, you do not have a bag that is in the recall.

Yours has a later use by date:

The bad ones had may use by dates.

Back
Top Bottom