Any Home Bakers Here?

You are welcome. Hope it works for you. It is the result of lots of trial and error. I have been sticking with this one for several years now. Very few ingredients, and by machine.

But I still miss the feel of the living dough on the punch down ...
I helped a missionary figure out a recipe and instructions for making sourdough bread in a bread machine about 25 years ago. She wanted to use the bread machine in Papua new Guinea

I helped a missionary figure out a recipe and instructions for making sourdough bread in a bread machine about 25 years ago. She wanted to use the bread machine in Papua new Guinea

Dear Ronott1,

We as chicken keepers got a leg up on everybody else.

We can bake anything we want, darn near. Just take notes. Make adjustments till we get it right.

Never had a failed batch of bread yet AS FAR AS THE CHICKENS WERE CONCERNED. It is not bad bread. It is good chicken food.

No kidding. It takes the pressure off trying out new bread ideas.

Was there any particular trick to the sourdough part of it?

For the whole wheat, as stated above, I finally had to go to straight gluten to get both the whole wheat high fiber and the texture resistance for thin slice and sandwich needs. I tried "better for bread" high protein flour, but the amount needed was too great to get that whole grain texture I was looking for.

Congratulations on working out a good recipe.

Here is one I worked up. It shows. It is in layers of notation form and might be hard for anyone but me to follow ....

Apple Double Apple Pie

[apples in apple butter with a no roll crust]

For 9.5 deep dish

2 cups AP flour

½ cup WW flour

2 sticks butter

¼ cup oil

pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 F.
soak tapioca in apple butter, see below

Warm oil and butter on counter in small bowl until room temp.

Stir flours and salt together, then pour in fat and mix until blended.

It may hold together in a crust, or might need a little water.

(I usually do not need to add any water, if required, add ice water by single spoon, stir until it gathers. But since this crust is NOT rolled, it can be a little more dry than usual.)

Put 2/3ds of mix into 9.5 inch deep dish pie plate and press into shape --- chill in fridge.

Take remaining crust dough and shape into 11 X 4 rectangle, on counter, then cut into strips and chill in fridge.

After at least 30 mins in fridge, blind bake bottom pie crust for 10 mins at 400 degrees.

Filling:

One rounded Quarter Cup each apple butter and quick tapioca, mixed and rested together at least 1 hr in the fridge. (I add one tablespoon cinnamon, tiny pinch of ground cloves and 4 or 5 rubs of nutmeg, too, but all spices are optional, depending on apple butter seasoning.)

8 medium apples, peeled, sliced thin, saved in cold water with dash of vinegar until cooked. [Remember that tart apples and sweeter apples require more or less sugar, and sometimes the juice of half a lemon. Adjust.]

[Put peelings through a blender with a little water until finely minced and then boil them nearly dry before adding them to the apples in pan at the next stage. This step is not required, but I recommend it.]

Save the apple slices in vinegar water, then drain for this step:

Preheat covered skillet with ½ stick butter, then pour in apples, with the boiled skins, and turn up to medium high, adding one cup brown sugar, stirring gently every few minutes for about 10-15 minutes, covered, until apples are well heated and release juices. You may need to turn this down after about five minutes, to medium, depending on your pan.

Then put these hot apples in a big bowl and gently stir in the applebutter/tapioca, adjusting for taste. (scant pinch salt might be in order, along with spices, juice of half of a lemon, or even a touch of vinegar, perhaps more sugar. Make it taste right. Some apple butters are spicy and you won't need anything.) Try not to bust up the apple slices too much.

Fill blind bake crust with hot apple, applebutter/tapioca mix, and top with the chilled crust strips. Just lay them across as you please. Put into preheated oven at once.

Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

Dear Ronott1,

We as chicken keepers got a leg up on everybody else.

We can bake anything we want, darn near. Just take notes. Make adjustments till we get it right.

Never had a failed batch of bread yet AS FAR AS THE CHICKENS WERE CONCERNED. It is not bad bread. It is good chicken food.

No kidding. It takes the pressure off trying out new bread ideas.

Was there any particular trick to the sourdough part of it?

For the whole wheat, as stated above, I finally had to go to straight gluten to get both the whole wheat high fiber and the texture resistance for thin slice and sandwich needs. I tried "better for bread" high protein flour, but the amount needed was too great to get that whole grain texture I was looking for.

Congratulations on working out a good recipe.
It had to do with adjusting the rest cycle. This was back when they did not have a lot of cycle options on bread machines.

She was very happy!

I've got chocolate chip cookies and hen saddles going today. I signed up to provide something sweet for vacation Bible School on one of the days so cookies are it! Though, I will be eating some too lol.

There hen saddle thing..... You all know I was saying that my machine needed repaired because it kept breaking needles. Well, I had a decent stockpile of saddles made up and very few orders coming in so I was kinda procrastinating/not thinking about it. Well, working 24 hours, I had orders flood in and ended up being 4 saddles short! DH have me permission to run out to Walmart and get a cheap backup to use until my other one is fixed (which will be going to the shop the next time I'm down that way). I've been putting this Brother machine to the test! It's working good so far! I got the 4 that I needed for orders made and shipped and 20 more started up. Taking a break from sewing for cookies lol

I've got chocolate chip cookies and hen saddles going today. I signed up to provide something sweet for vacation Bible School on one of the days so cookies are it! Though, I will be eating some too lol.

There hen saddle thing..... You all know I was saying that my machine needed repaired because it kept breaking needles. Well, I had a decent stockpile of saddles made up and very few orders coming in so I was kinda procrastinating/not thinking about it. Well, working 24 hours, I had orders flood in and ended up being 4 saddles short! DH have me permission to run out to Walmart and get a cheap backup to use until my other one is fixed (which will be going to the shop the next time I'm down that way). I've been putting this Brother machine to the test! It's working good so far! I got the 4 that I needed for orders made and shipped and 20 more started up. Taking a break from sewing for cookies lol
It is a good idea to have a backup when you are selling things you make.

Will you freeze the cookies and take them to VBS frozen?

It is a good idea to have a backup when you are selling things you make.

Will you freeze the cookies and take them to VBS frozen?

Yeah, I'm going to freeze them but I'll probably pull them out the morning that I'm taking them in and get them all set up on a platter. They'll be nice and thawed by evening.

Back
Top Bottom