Any Home Bakers Here?

I use white potatoes, don't care for Reds or Yukon Golds, they are too waxy in mashed potatoes.
The kind of red potatoes that are commercially available in stores are waxy and do not make good mashed potatoes. Red Pontiac potatoes are not waxy and do make superb mashed potatoes.

Ah, but I have to get mine at the store ;) 2 years ago I got 50 pounds of white potatoes from my Farmer's Market friend. Last year his crop was a total loss. Too wet to harvest, then the ground froze :(

I'll have to try growing the Red Pontiac.
Many years ago, I was permitted to grow a garden in a long decomposed sawdust pile. I planted 2 lbs. of Red Pontiacs along with tomatoes and other goodies. When the garden was done in the fall, I dug up 220 lbs. of potatoes. The biggest one was by far the largest potato that I have ever grown. It weighed 7 1/2 lbs. I did not have steak and potatoes with it, I had steaks and a potato.

Wow! Must have been about a record for pounds harvested per pounds planted!!!!
Apparently it was a record for the biggest potato ever since the Guinness Book of World Records lists the biggest potato being 7 lbs. 1 oz. I had no idea at the time or I would have tried to claim the record. The best I do here in this sand dune is 2 1/2 lbs.

10 minutes?? I must be doing something wrong, always takes mine at least 20 minutes, often 30. I cut them up into small pieces, like < 1/2". I use white potatoes, don't care for Reds or Yukon Golds, they are too waxy in mashed potatoes.

Once cooked and drained I add a bunch of butter and mash them. I've found that my pastry cutter does a bang up job of mashing. Then I add milk until the texture is right. Of course "right" is personal preference.
[/QUOTE

Cut the potatoes smaller. They will cook faster if they are nice smaller even pieces.

Also, add salt to the water when you boil them. The salt will better flavor the potatoes and it is nearly impossible to get the the salt into the potato later. It is similar to brining.

Finally, always start with cold water when you boil them

Many years ago, I was permitted to grow a garden in a long decomposed sawdust pile. I planted 2 lbs. of Red Pontiacs along with tomatoes and other goodies. When the garden was done in the fall, I dug up 220 lbs. of potatoes. The biggest one was by far the largest potato that I have ever grown. It weighed 7 1/2 lbs. I did not have steak and potatoes with it, I had steaks and a potato.
Wow!! The last 2 years we’ve had a really good potato crop. I have two 5 gallon buckets Left in the basement. They are sprouting now so we will use them for seed potatoes if they last that long.

Ah, but I have to get mine at the store ;) 2 years ago I got 50 pounds of white potatoes from my Farmer's Market friend. Last year his crop was a total loss. Too wet to harvest, then the ground froze :(

I'll have to try growing the Red Pontiac.

Being from Idaho, I know how to grow potatoes. However, I struggle with it every year. Trying to figure out the right soil solution and how long to keep them in the soil before Harvest.

Back
Top Bottom