Any Home Bakers Here?

What types of fruit do you grow? Do you can jellies or jams?

I have raspberries, rhubarb, and wild blackberries. I have wild currents too but the wildlife takes them before they even ripen.
Im working on strawberries and grapes. I have 4 plants(S) and got one berry this year. And one grape vine I plated last fall.
Oh, and a couple apple trees. One is new so we pulled the apples off it so it can focus on root growth.

I make jams. In past years I’ve only made rhubarb jam and rhubarb/strawberry jam. This is the first year I’m getting to try making something different.
I hope to can apples this fall too:)

It does make for a nice change:) I’ll still never turn down a cinnamon roll, but the fruit just makes it not seem like such a “heavy” treat. Plus I feel guilty that so much of my fruit goes to waste. I’ve hardly used my rhubarb that past few years.
I made a batch of rhubarb wine last summer. When it was time to bottle it, I didn't because the amount of oxalic acid in it made it taste terrible. The person that gave me the recipe was just down last week to get some keets and asked about the rhubarb wine. I got the bucket out and opened it. It smelled like really good wine. I dipped out a small glass and offered her a taste. I said to feel free to spit it out since I knew what it had tasted like.

I was surprised when she didn't spit it out and offered her husband a taste. He asked me when was the last time I had tasted it. He also said it was better than the rhubarb wine they had had from that recipe. I tasted it. It is good wine now.

I need to bottle it. A year of aging the wine made an unbelievable difference.

I made a batch of rhubarb wine last summer. When it was time to bottle it, I didn't because the amount of oxalic acid in it made it taste terrible. The person that gave me the recipe was just down last week to get some keets and asked about the rhubarb wine. I got the bucket out and opened it. It smelled like really good wine. I dipped out a small glass and offered her a taste. I said to feel free to spit it out since I knew what it had tasted like.

I was surprised when she didn't spit it out and offered her husband a taste. He asked me when was the last time I had tasted it. He also said it was better than the rhubarb wine they had had from that recipe. I tasted it. It is good wine now.

I need to bottle it. A year of aging the wine made an unbelievable difference.

Interesting! I’ve never attempted to make wine before. I honestly hate wine. I keep trying it because everyone makes it sound so good, but I have yet to try a wine that doesn’t make me wrinkle my nose. Haha.
Is it difficult to make? Does it have the dry aftertaste that most wines seem to have?

Interesting! I’ve never attempted to make wine before. I honestly hate wine. I keep trying it because everyone makes it sound so good, but I have yet to try a wine that doesn’t make me wrinkle my nose. Haha.
Is it difficult to make? Does it have the dry aftertaste that most wines seem to have?
Wine is relatively easy to make if you have the proper equipment. A fermentation lock is essential. The availability of good wine yeasts takes away a lot of the hazard of making wine at home. You kill off the wild yeasts and use the wine yeast of your choice for fermentation.

Whether a wine is sweet or dry depends on the person making the wine. Commercially, sweet wines are typically because they stop the fermentation process by adding bisulfite and then add back in a syrup until they get the desired sweetness.

The dry wines are made by letting the fermentation process use up all the sugars.

If you don't care for wine, don't drink it. Probably not a good idea to make it either.

I have raspberries, rhubarb, and wild blackberries. I have wild currents too but the wildlife takes them before they even ripen.
Im working on strawberries and grapes. I have 4 plants(S) and got one berry this year. And one grape vine I plated last fall.
Oh, and a couple apple trees. One is new so we pulled the apples off it so it can focus on root growth.

I make jams. In past years I’ve only made rhubarb jam and rhubarb/strawberry jam. This is the first year I’m getting to try making something different.
I hope to can apples this fall too:)

Lovely to have all that fruit available!

Wine is relatively easy to make if you have the proper equipment. A fermentation lock is essential. The availability of good wine yeasts takes away a lot of the hazard of making wine at home. You kill off the wild yeasts and use the wine yeast of your choice for fermentation.

Whether a wine is sweet or dry depends on the person making the wine. Commercially, sweet wines are typically because they stop the fermentation process by adding bisulfite and then add back in a syrup until they get the desired sweetness.

The dry wines are made by letting the fermentation process use up all the sugars.

If you don't care for wine, don't drink it. Probably not a good idea to make it either.

Agreed. I would give it a try, but considering how much I dislike wine in general I can’t imagine I could make anything drinkable. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between good or bad wine😆
Is there such a thing as rhubarb infused vodka? I’d drink that. Lol

Lovely to have all that fruit available!
It has been nice this year. It’s taken a good while for plants to get established and many are still working on getting to the production point. I still hope to add more. We put in a cherry tree last year too. It flowered this spring, but no cherries yet.

Agreed. I would give it a try, but considering how much I dislike wine in general I can’t imagine I could make anything drinkable. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between good or bad wine😆
Is there such a thing as rhubarb infused vodka? I’d drink that. Lol

It has been nice this year. It’s taken a good while for plants to get established and many are still working on getting to the production point. I still hope to add more. We put in a cherry tree last year too. It flowered this spring, but no cherries yet.

A long time ago I lived in a house where I planted apple trees. It took about 3-4 years before they got any apples. Maybe that's not uncommon for fruit trees?

Back
Top Bottom