Any Home Bakers Here?

For the brine, use 1 gallon of water : 1 cup of kosher or coarse salt : 1 cup of brown sugar.

Always follow this ratio.

Regardless of the size of the duck or goose, brine it, fully submerged for 12 hours. The brine will pull the blood out of the animal, and replace it with brine for flavor.

After brining, follow the calculator here for cooking time and temp:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/roast-calculator

You may need to do some conversion. But when I cook this way, duck and goose taste FANTASTIC!

Since you apparently don't have a "Proof" setting on your oven, have you considered turning on the oven light to create an enclosed and warmer proofing area?
The light fixture is broken. 😕 I can't make good yogurt any more either because of it. And no, it doesn't just need a new bulb. I've been trying to find someone who does appliance repair to fix it with no luck. It's a glass-top stove, not that old. I hate to have to buy a whole new oven but it's starting to look like my only option. :hit

My sourdough over-proofed, even in the fridge. I should have turned it out and re-shaped it and let it rise again. Oh well, it was a learning experience. This particular recipe really takes two days and an earlier start than I got on it. And certainly, for me, not on a Friday, lol! I'll try again next Tuesday or Wednesday. It should have a good complex flavor and a nice coarse crumb because of the long, slow rise. I'm determined to succeed!

My sourdough over-proofed, even in the fridge. I should have turned it out and re-shaped it and let it rise again. Oh well, it was a learning experience. This particular recipe really takes two days and an earlier start than I got on it. And certainly, for me, not on a Friday, lol! I'll try again next Tuesday or Wednesday. It should have a good complex flavor and a nice coarse crumb because of the long, slow rise. I'm determined to succeed!
Mine over-proofed, too. It sounds like the methods we use are the same/very similar. I'm determined to start getting consistent results.

The oven that came with the house is just a couple of years younger than I am, is a very small cubic foot size (can't fit a full sheet pan in it), and is at least 25°F lower from where I set it. I have an oven thermometer, so that's helpful, but we have started searching for a new one.

You do have to watch he timing on recipes when you are using the oregon sourdough starter. It rises faster than most starters.

Back
Top Bottom