Any Home Bakers Here?

Total weight of that mallard was 2.2 pounds. For a female mallard, that’s medium. The females usually grow to be a maximum of 3 pounds according to the Internet.

While plucking it, I ran into a problem. Pin feathers. I had to skin it and get the leg meat, thigh meat, and breast meat off. I did successfully get all the meat off, including the giblets out of the bird.

Using this recipe while the meat is brining.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/giblet_gravy/

Meat will be done brining in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Jared

Of COURSE he wants some Jared!

For the brine, use 1 gallon of water : 1 cup of kosher or coarse salt : 1 cup of brown sugar.
Thanks Jared, might buy a duck next Saturday and try it Sunday.

The oven that came with the house is just a couple of years younger than I am, is a very small cubic foot size (can't fit a full sheet pan in it)
The oven that came with this house is 25 years older than me ;) It is small like yours, probably smaller.

Only one person came to do the job.

A plumber is what the fabricators required.
That guy needs to look in the mirror and explain to himself how he can screw people like that $225/hr indeed!
I'm still looking for someone else to hook up the water, garbage disposal, and install faucet and hopefully much better price.
Do you have a "Front Porch Forum" or the like where you live? Ask for recommendations for a "handyman". There are plenty of people out there that can put in a faucet, connect a disposal for a reasonable price. If I lived close enough I'd pop right over and do it free (or for a cherry pie ;) )

See those little things all over the concrete? Those are WORMS. I don't know why they all crawled out onto the driveway but we have a mass genocide incident over here.
Release the chickens!!!

While plucking it, I ran into a problem. Pin feathers.
The lady at the farmer's market said they may not do ducks next year for that very reason, too many pin feathers.

Of COURSE he wants some Jared!

Thanks Jared, might buy a duck next Saturday and try it Sunday.

The oven that came with this house is 25 years older than me ;) It is small like yours, probably smaller.

That guy needs to look in the mirror and explain to himself how he can screw people like that $225/hr indeed!

Do you have a "Front Porch Forum" or the like where you live? Ask for recommendations for a "handyman". There are plenty of people out there that can put in a faucet, connect a disposal for a reasonable price. If I lived close enough I'd pop right over and do it free (or for a cherry pie ;) )

Release the chickens!!!

The lady at the farmer's market said they may not do ducks next year for that very reason, too many pin feathers.
They were all crispy already, no fun for chickens :p We call those dried out worms worm jerky over here :lau

The company who made the stove should be able to direct you to someone to repair the oven.

If not tell them you will not be buying their products again.

That is what I did with Whirlpool related to my refrigerator.

The home office called me to have my refrigerator shipped back to them and a brand new one delivered the day of the pickup.

I had to pay the difference between the price of my refrigerator and the new one.

I have a much nicer refrigerator than I had for a small amount oa money.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

@ronott1, I bought a set of these jars for my sourdough starter, I got two squatty quart-sized ones and one tall one that holds a little over two quarts. I've been keeping sugar in the tall one. Look what happened today to the tall one when I went to close it. I heard a crunch noise and a pop. Looked around, didn't see anything. Started to close it again, same thing. Looked closer and saw this damage to the rim of the jar. The wire bail put pressure on the glass threads as I was closing it and broke the glass! Found glass shards on my counter top! Will be alerting the Ball company of the issue. Be careful!

PXL_20211017_161718532.jpg

Found this chip on counter top.

PXL_20211017_161758609.jpg

And yes, it is a Ball jar.

PXL_20211017_161914789.jpg

@ronott1, I bought a set of these jars for my sourdough starter, I got two squatty quart-sized ones and one tall one that holds a little over two quarts. I've been keeping sugar in the tall one. Look what happened today to the tall one when I went to close it. I heard a crunch noise and a pop. Looked around, didn't see anything. Started to close it again, same thing. Looked closer and saw this damage to the rim of the jar. The wire bail put pressure on the glass threads as I was closing it and broke the glass! Found glass shards on my counter top! Will be alerting the Ball company of the issue. Be careful!

View attachment 2869634

Found this chip on counter top.

View attachment 2869637

And yes, it is a Ball jar.

View attachment 2869639
I have not had one do that!

Was the seal bad?

Back
Top Bottom