Any Home Bakers Here?

View attachment 2915718

This was REALLY soft, even sticky. I tucked a little extra flour into it so I could handle it. Then basically dropped it into the dutch oven, at which point I fear any air in the dough likely got smashed out of it. Covered it and it's baking now. We'll see how it goes. :idunno
I hope it turns out well for you. My wife mentioned to me that you really don't need to even handle it at all. I think she just mixes it, lets it rest and then dumps it into the dutch oven. At any rate, I hope it turned out well for you. I made such a big deal over it....I hope you actually like it. :)

I hope it turns out well for you. My wife mentioned to me that you really don't need to even handle it at all. I think she just mixes it, lets it rest and then dumps it into the dutch oven. At any rate, I hope it turned out well for you. I made such a big deal over it....I hope you actually like it. :)
I only let it rise about five and a half hours, and it was a big, bubbly, fermenting mass! I couldn't see leaving it any longer, should I have? I thought it turned out VERY well, but next time I will incorporate some ww flour. It has a nice open crumb a lot like sourdough actually.

I only let it rise about five and a half hours, and it was a big, bubbly, fermenting mass! I couldn't see leaving it any longer, should I have? I thought it turned out VERY well, but next time I will incorporate some ww flour. It has a nice open crumb a lot like sourdough actually.
Yes, it reminds me somewhat of sourdough. The flavor is really good. I'm glad to hear that it turned out well for you. I love whole wheat, so I'm sure that would definitely add some flavor and texture to the loaf.

Do you by chance grind your own flour? We have whole wheat berries and I always grind my wheat flour fresh. It is SUPERIOR to the pre-milled wheat flour that you'd buy in the store. The flavor is completely different - much more mild with a good nutty flavor. Unfortunately my wife cannot have whole wheat, so it's not too often that I would use my whole wheat flour for much of anything unless I plan to eat it all myself...which I have been known to do at times... LOL :) Enjoy!

I'll have to ask my wife about how long to let it rise. She usually lets it rise the full amount of time, but that will depend on your kitchen temp and the weather and other factors that will always affect how well the dough rises.

Yes, it reminds me somewhat of sourdough. The flavor is really good. I'm glad to hear that it turned out well for you. I love whole wheat, so I'm sure that would definitely add some flavor and texture to the loaf.

Do you by chance grind your own flour? We have whole wheat berries and I always grind my wheat flour fresh. It is SUPERIOR to the pre-milled wheat flour that you'd buy in the store. The flavor is completely different - much more mild with a good nutty flavor. Unfortunately my wife cannot have whole wheat, so it's not too often that I would use my whole wheat flour for much of anything unless I plan to eat it all myself...which I have been known to do at times... LOL :) Enjoy!
I have done so in the past, but do not have a mill. Hmm. 🤔 No, no, I mustn't! I already have practically every kitchen implement known to man, lol, and it's just me and The Man now ... I should be downsizing! 😄

I'll have to ask my wife about how long to let it rise. She usually lets it rise the full amount of time, but that will depend on your kitchen temp and the weather and other factors that will always affect how well the dough rises.
I had put it in the oven with the light on. I didn't think that tiny light out out any heat, but apparently I was mistaken.

I had put it in the oven with the light on. I didn't think that tiny light out out any heat, but apparently I was mistaken.
I usually put my dough out on the counter with a towel over the top..but you can certainly put it in the oven, too. So many factors affect how dough rises. Bread almost never turns out the exact same way every time. I'm sure yours was still very good. :)

Fish are in their new home for now,
I'm sure they appreciate you saving them!

That's one of the ideas behind the silicone mat I ordered. You put the dough on the mat, lift the whole thing, and set it down in the Dutch oven.
I don't know if the silicone mat affects baking at all. The Champlain Bread recipe has you put the dough on some parchment paper then lower that into the pot.

That is kind of the standard way to proof in the oven if you don't have a proof setting.
It brings the temp up, just some. My oven will proof between 80 and 100°F, 100°F being the default.

Back
Top Bottom