Any Home Bakers Here?

My neighbor warned me that "you will find any thin spots in your oven mitts when you use a Dutch oven to bake sourdough at 450!" That's why I got the gloves. I already KNOW my mitts have thin spots. :hmm

GF flour is expensive, so I'm starting to grind my own. I used my Blendtec blender on short grain brown rice; it's a bit gritty. I have a juicer that has a grinding attachment, and that ground it a bit finer, though it still has more texture than store bought. Long grain white rice did a little better yet.

I want to try making oat flour and quinoa flour. And maybe tapioca. All the GF SD recipes call for a few different flours. I need to find some sorghum flour; that's a common one in GF. I went to the health food store I usually go to, and nada. I looked it up online, and guess who says they have it! Walmart!

@musikfan, what do you use to grind your flour? Can you post a picture too? Thanks!
I'm at work, but I'll try to get something to you at some point. We have a hand-crank grainmill that we bought years back. I forget what brand it is. So you are GF? My son is GF and my wife has been using King Arthur GF flour. It is quite impressive but yes, it is expensive. I assume if you are making your own that you are also using xantham gum? Our grain mill does a good job of grinding rice, but yes, it is still gritty.

Yes but Sally do you bowl? A couple trips to the bowling alley poof all that money gone! Do you have a pony? Me neither so look at all the money we’re entitled to spend on baking supplies!
Nope, don't bowl, don't have ponies or horses. I spend $0 on my hair, get most of my clothes at Goodwill (except shoes). My car is 14 years old.

You're right, @Sequel! I deserve to spend money on baking supplies! :thumbsup

This afternoon I ground up some oatmeal in my Blendtec blender, and it's finer than the rice flour I made. I call that a win!

If anyone is thinking of grinding flour in a high speed blender, I have this bit of advice: Do a batch (2-3 cups?), and let everything cool down. I did a second batch, and it was starting to clump up. The friction/heat made it all warm.

I have the flour in a bowl to cool and dry before I put it in a container. This will probably not be a good project when it gets hot and humid. I need to get this method all figured out and make enough flour to last me all summer.

Or just cuss a lot next July.

This afternoon I ground up some oatmeal in my Blendtec blender, and it's finer than the rice flour I made. I call that a win!

If anyone is thinking of grinding flour in a high speed blender, I have this bit of advice: Do a batch (2-3 cups?), and let everything cool down. I did a second batch, and it was starting to clump up. The friction/heat made it all warm.

I have the flour in a bowl to cool and dry before I put it in a container. This will probably not be a good project when it gets hot and humid. I need to get this method all figured out and make enough flour to last me all summer.

Or just cuss a lot next July.
The dried pumpkin puree that I ground into flour is super fine.

Back
Top Bottom