Any Home Bakers Here?

It's very delicious! I made some rhubarb pie! It's one of the easiest recipes ever!Did you know that eating large amounts of rhubarb can eventually lead to a calcium deficiency due to the oxaal acid inside. That's why, where I live, they advice not to eat rhubarb after the longest day because the oxaalacid is in the leaves before and as the season progresses it goes back in the stems. They even sell chalk to add (CaCO3) at local pharmacies. funny no?View attachment 3111735
Nice!

Pie looks YUMMY

Here's the recipe if you want to make it too!
[Metric measurements]

100 gram flour
3 gram baking powder
125 gram butter (i use full fat)
125 gram sugar
25 gram custard
2 big eggs (duck)
some orange juice (any juice will do, amount of approx. half an orange)
a little vanilla

Mix everything until it is a smooth dough and put it in a baking tray (22-26cm)

Take and clean 3/4 rhubarb stems and cut them in pieces (approx. 5 cm)
push all pieces inside the dough (you will still see the top parts of the stems.

bake 20 minutes on 200 degrees Celcius.
When it comes out of the over, put ginger jelly on the top. so it stays moist. (any jelly will do)

This recipe is very forgiving. so feel free to change the juice, vanilla, jelly...

I already tried:
Adding sugar on top before baking: not a better taste. gives a little bite.
Adding a pinch of salt: you can leave it out
Adding partly whole grain flour: up until 20% it will be fine, 30% or above you will loose the smooth structure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here's the recipe if you want to make it too!
[Metric measurements]

100 gram flour
3 gram baking powder
125 gram butter (i use full fat)
25 gram custard
2 big eggs (duck)
some orange juice (any juice will do, amount of approx. half an orange)
a little vanilla

Mix everything until it is a smooth dough and put it in a baking tray (22-26cm)

Take and clean 3/4 rhubarb stems and cut them in pieces (approx. 5 cm)
push all pieces inside the dough (you will still see the top parts of the stems.

bake 20 minutes on 200 degrees Celcius.
When it comes out of the over, put ginger jelly on the top. so it stays moist. (any jelly will do)

This recipe is very forgiving. so feel free to change the juice, vanilla, jelly...

I already tried:
Adding sugar on top before baking: not a better taste. gives a little bite.
Adding a pinch of salt: you can leave it out
Adding partly whole grain flour: up until 20% it will be fine, 30% or above you will loose the smooth structure.

Good luck!
Thanks for the Recipe!

Did you use the recipe on the pectin pamphlet?
No I googled a recipe that called for a little bit of orange zest and juice. “They” said the acid helps what pectin there is a bit. So far the viscosity is more like applesauce but I really don’t mind. It was fun to break free of the pectin people and their prices!:wee

No I googled a recipe that called for a little bit of orange zest and juice. “They” said the acid helps what pectin there is a bit. So far the viscosity is more like applesauce but I really don’t mind. It was fun to break free of the pectin people and their prices!:wee
For more texture you may want to try adding pieces of an apple. I recommend something like Honeycrisp which holds together well during baking.

It's very delicious! I made some rhubarb pie! It's one of the easiest recipes ever!Did you know that eating large amounts of rhubarb can eventually lead to a calcium deficiency due to the oxaal acid inside. That's why, where I live, they advice not to eat rhubarb after the longest day because the oxaalacid is in the leaves before and as the season progresses it goes back in the stems. They even sell chalk to add (CaCO3) at local pharmacies. funny no?View attachment 3111735
No I sure did not know that! I mean I knew the leaves were full of oxalic acid but not the rest! That’s good to know! A couple of my plants just sent up bloom stalks.

Back
Top Bottom