Any Home Bakers Here?

Well, here's something I found out this morning. I was going to make yogurt, and thought I'd gotten some plain yogurt to use as the starter culture. Ooops! It was blueberry flavor, fruit on the bottom. Ok, so scrape the plain off the top, right?

I read the ingredients. NOWHERE does it say anything about active cultures. It's milk, sugar, pectin, gelatin, blueberries, preservatives. It isn't even yogurt!!! Abort mission, put the still-cold milk back in the jug.

So I got some plain yogurt today (double checked), and something is fishy about this. It no longer says "active cultures," though it does say "cultured milk." I'm going to see if it will culture milk into yogurt. If not, well, the air around my mouth will get blue, and tender ears should leave the premises.

It's the same brand I usually buy. Are "they" trying to keep people from making their own yogurt...? I surely hope not.

I'll know by this time tomorrow, and will report back.

Well, here's something I found out this morning. I was going to make yogurt, and thought I'd gotten some plain yogurt to use as the starter culture. Ooops! It was blueberry flavor, fruit on the bottom. Ok, so scrape the plain off the top, right?

I read the ingredients. NOWHERE does it say anything about active cultures. It's milk, sugar, pectin, gelatin, blueberries, preservatives. It isn't even yogurt!!! Abort mission, put the still-cold milk back in the jug.

So I got some plain yogurt today (double checked), and something is fishy about this. It no longer says "active cultures," though it does say "cultured milk." I'm going to see if it will culture milk into yogurt. If not, well, the air around my mouth will get blue, and tender ears should leave the premises.

It's the same brand I usually buy. Are "they" trying to keep people from making their own yogurt...? I surely hope not.

Plain greek yogurt is the way to go!

Save some from the previous batch to start the next one. I have not purchased yogurt in years!

Oh yes, they do it to prevent people from making their own yogurt and to affect our digestive system.

BTW, yesterday I got a new oven, yey!! I am so happy! The electric one we had broke down (it was also too small) and we fashioned a brick oven (wasn't exactly working perfect) that did burn the bottom of things easily. And we finally decided to buy this one, it's so efficient, so pretty looking. Anyways, made some cheese pie with blackberry in it and it came out great, now I'm making a chocolate cake :D yum. Lol tomorrow I'll probably make some bread XD.
Well have a good night everyone!!

Oh yes, they do it to prevent people from making their own yogurt and to affect our digestive system.

BTW, yesterday I got a new oven, yey!! I am so happy! The electric one we had broke down (it was also too small) and we fashioned a brick oven (wasn't exactly working perfect) that did burn the bottom of things easily. And we finally decided to buy this one, it's so efficient, so pretty looking. Anyways, made some cheese pie with blackberry in it and it came out great, now I'm making a chocolate cake :D yum. Lol tomorrow I'll probably make some bread XD.
Well have a good night everyone!!
New oven? That’s exciting! :wee I’m so happy for you! Your baking sounds just delicious!

New oven? That’s exciting! :wee I’m so happy for you! Your baking sounds just delicious!
Thanks :)!! Turns out there are still "basic" gas ovens that have their little surprises, this one has a mechanic rotisserie insert (powered by electricity) which I'll definitely try out sometime in the future. The cheese pie actually has de blackberries on top, I know I said "in" lol, kind of tired and wrote wrong.

Attachments

• IMG-20220518-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220518-WA0004.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 2

If you buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Bulgarian-Yogurt-Starter-Makes-Gal/dp/B06X3VVJ6K/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1KRBJUQK8YS3N&keywords=yogurt+starter&qid=1652973458&sprefix=yogurt+starter,aps,140&sr=8-8&th=1

And save a couple of tablespoons from the old batch of yogurt to culture the now batch, You will have very good yogurt!

I bought this one 2018.

And save a couple of tablespoons from the old batch of yogurt, You will have very good yogurt!

I bought this one 2018.
Thank you! :love

I just ordered this, the one big enough to do a gallon, because I make a gallon at a time. Some questions:

Do you drain some of the whey out, to make a Greek style yogurt? I do, as yogurt is my "ice cream" substitute. So much better for me, and less fat. Plus, I have many uses for the whey.

How do you store the yogurt you want to save to make the next batch? Does it keep long term (2-3 months...?) in the fridge, or can you freeze it?

Thanks again, @ronott1!

Thank you! :love

I just ordered this, the one big enough to do a gallon, because I make a gallon at a time. Some questions:

Do you drain some of the whey out, to make a Greek style yogurt? I do, as yogurt is my "ice cream" substitute. So much better for me, and less fat. Plus, I have many uses for the whey.

How do you store the yogurt you want to save to make the next batch? Does it keep long term (2-3 months...?) in the fridge, or can you freeze it?

Thanks again, @ronott1!
I culture new yogurt every two weeks. I pour a bit of yogurt from the old batch into a glass and use it in the new batch.

You need to make sure that you reserve enough to make the new batch. I make a quart jar because we do not use it as much.

Instead draining, I use beef gelatin. A teaspoon and a half per 4 cups. That thickens the yogurt and adds some nutrition for the gelatin. The gelatin is from amazon.

Back
Top Bottom