Any Home Bakers Here?

Good morning, everyone.

I did another Dutch oven experiment.

IMG_3357.jpeg

I turned the lid upside down and used it to make scrambled eggs while hash browns were cooking in the main oven. It was a success, and I made a delicious Mountain Man Breakfast.

Next time, though, I need to cook everything 10 minutes longer so the onions fully cook.

I’ll post the recipe momentarily.

This recipe may need an amendment later, but here it is.

Dutch Oven Mountain Man breakfast (camping recipe)

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lbs bacon, cut into chunks.
12 eggs, beaten
2 lbs frozen hash browns
8oz cheddar cheese

Special equipment:

12” cast iron Dutch oven
Dutch oven cooking gloves

Directions:

Turn Dutch oven lid upside down and place on coals. Add a little vegetable oil and scramble eggs in lid. While eggs are scrambling, heat main oven over coals and cook onions and bacon. Add hash browns when onions and bacon are almost done and stir to defrost/cook hash browns.

Once eggs are almost done, add them on top of the hash brown and bacon/onion mixture. Do not stir from here on out. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Put lid on Dutch oven and place enough coals on the top and bottom to get the oven temp to 350F. Cook 20-30 minutes.

Eggs should be set and cheese melted. Hash browns should be fully defrosted and hot.

This recipe may need an amendment later, but here it is.

Dutch Oven Mountain Man breakfast (camping recipe)

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lbs bacon, cut into chunks.
12 eggs, beaten
2 lbs frozen hash browns
8oz cheddar cheese

Special equipment:

12” cast iron Dutch oven
Dutch oven cooking gloves

Directions:

Turn Dutch oven lid upside down and place on coals. Add a little vegetable oil and scramble eggs in lid. While eggs are scrambling, heat main oven over coals and cook onions and bacon. Add hash browns when onions and bacon are almost done and stir to defrost/cook hash browns.

Once eggs are almost done, add them on top of the hash brown and bacon/onion mixture. Do not stir from here on out. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Put lid on Dutch oven and place enough coals on the top and bottom to get the oven temp to 350F. Cook 20-30 minutes.

Eggs should be set and cheese melted. Hash browns should be fully defrosted and hot.
Thanks for the recipe!

I've decided to try baking bread, again. I used to have a bread machine, but it's long gone.

Do any of you have a bread machine recommendation? I have arthritis in my hands and am hoping to avoid a lot of kneading. Thanks.
I used to have one, but…the holes from the hooks 🙄 my family didn’t eat slices with holes, so I had to eat almost 3/4 of the bread. Another peeve was that sometimes, it didn’t mix the dough well, and when the bread was done, half of it was raw flour 😩

Back
Top Bottom