Any hope for my coop?

steny03

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Nevada
Hello! I foolishly bought a coop online beleiving it would be the cheaper way to go, as lumber, etc, is so much more expensive where I live. The coop is suprisingly roomy, but I have an issue....The nesting boxes are higher than the roosts, and my new pullets are currently sleeping in the boxes. Tonight, in order to break them of that habit, I have blocked off the nests, as the pullets aren't laying yet anyways. Is there any hope that my birds will train themselves to roost on the bars, and eventually I could open up the nests again? Or is my only hope to install a higher perch?

steny

If that is the only problem you have ecountered with a store bought coop then feel lucky. This is really not a problem at all just a situation that you need to approach and try to figure out a solution. Find you a couple branches in the woods and some nails and go to hammering to add a new roosting pole. Covering or closing the nest boxes is okay but will soon become a pain in the rear because you won't want to do it every day and night.

Keep an eye on the birds for the next week and if you see one roosting on the nest box after dark, pick her up and move her to the roost pole. After a week or so you will begin to use the roost pole all the time.

Don't panic just figure out a way to solve it and enjoy your pre built coop that you weren't foolish to buy!!

Thank you LoneOak! Since posting, we have just decided to try to install a roost taller than the nests, but won't get to it until this weekend. I did buy a coop size meant for "6-8" hens, but I honestly do not know how you would stuff 8 hens in it...I only have 4 right now, and do not plan to get more at the moment.

Honestly, the coop looks cute and all, but I think we could have built a better one. I was just trying to be nice, and not force my boyfriend to build one!

steny

I was just trying to be nice, and not force my boyfriend to build one!

steny
HA HA HA HA, Does he want to stick around? better get him a hammer some nails and a saw,LOLOLOLOLOLOL
lau.gif
lau.gif

HA HA HA HA, Does he want to stick around? better get him a hammer some nails and a saw,LOLOLOLOLOLOL
lau.gif
lau.gif

LOL! He was nice enough to build me a run...which he named the Henitentiary! So I can't complain about it too much....

Back
Top Bottom