Update: the turning mechanism got stuck on something last night, and the lid kept popping open. Hen’s intuition, but I kept waking up when I could hear the humming air was too loud. I fixed it, but I know the humidity kept dipping to 46% before I identified the issue. Right now it’s back at 74%.

my second batch should be okay, right? They’re on day 12 today.

Update: the turning mechanism got stuck on something last night, and the lid kept popping open. Hen’s intuition, but I kept waking up when I could hear the humming air was too loud. I fixed it, but I know the humidity kept dipping to 46% before I identified the issue. Right now it’s back at 74%.

my second batch should be okay, right? They’re on day 12 today.

It shouldn't affect them. Through the initial phases of incubation it's the average humidity that matters, so one night of a bit low won't matter. And if the temperature dipped a little during that time that's fine too - lower temperatures are easier for the eggs to cope with than high ones.

Recandled my second batch. They look amazing! I will post pictures, but they’re looking much more positive than the first batch ever did. I even think the little grey egg I was worried about has shown some growth.

Recandled my second batch. They look amazing! I will post pictures, but they’re looking much more positive than the first batch ever did. I even think the little grey egg I was worried about has shown some growth.
Here are a few examples. The lightest shadowed one is the grey one. I know he’s watery looking, but he’s still shadowed similarly to the others so I figure better safe than sorry. I would include more, but most are too dark to see the aircell in easily even if they are formed! I only had to scrap two more last night that were infertile and simply too far underdeveloped for day 12.

Attachments

• F316AF0D-B76E-4E12-82C6-D04B7A18D15D.jpeg
    F316AF0D-B76E-4E12-82C6-D04B7A18D15D.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 15
  • AF9BC8C2-9484-43A4-8A7E-3C0D04EDF966.jpeg
    AF9BC8C2-9484-43A4-8A7E-3C0D04EDF966.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16
  • C16EAFAC-D6AF-4EC7-9CF6-EED6C7AF0D20.jpeg
    C16EAFAC-D6AF-4EC7-9CF6-EED6C7AF0D20.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
I would say stop candling and definitely don't float test again (it can drown them as eggshells are porous and also take in bacteria). Just leave them be! I know how hard that is. Wait until 3 or 4 days post usual hatch day before giving up on any. There is nothing worse than tossing an egg, or breaking it open only to find you had a viable chick you've now killed.

Update: I had to double check on the grey egg. It seems he’s shown further progress! He seems to have a more palpable form in his original light shadow on day 12. He may be later than his siblings, though.

Today is day 19 of the last two from the 9 batch. Unfortunately, upon candling at 2am, I can see better in the total darkness (despite living underground with dark curtains), and it seems they had developed, but stopped too early.

I won’t do an eggtopsy; I’m fairly certain it was the terrible incubator that cooked them. Perhaps they were late bloomers and developed a bit in the hot temperature. Otherwise, today is day 15 for the 13 batch and the humidity and temperature have stayed a nice constant. I have high hopes!

Update: I had to candle on day 15 just for the “final” verdict. The grey one is probably not good enough, but I did leave him in there. Otherwise, the only eggs that remain are ones I cannot see into and one that I accidentally thought was dead for 20 minutes, but he actually looks the healthiest comparing him to candling charts...! He has a very dark form and a distinct aircell where the pictures show it.

There are now 7 eggs in the incubator. After say 20-22, I’ll do a complete summary so I can know what i can do to fix my hatchrate. This batch clearly began developing, but stopped. I think they needed to be more humid, but I’ll make my notes and see what everybirdie thinks.

Back
Top Bottom