Any Hope for this ex-battery ? Bad vent gleet GRAPHIC

OK, I can normally keep calm about these rescue hens, but this is outrageous. Her vent was 99% blocked by that crap, and she also has bumblefoot. This is not ok. Sorry for the outburst.
I cannot believe some chickens live in conditions like that! Makes me feel so sad for them.

I once was working as an intern for a veterinarian when I was in high school and they had me go into surgery... They asked me to put Vicks under my nose, I didn't know why... This poor dog had gangrene and its skin was falling off. The smell was so horrible and the Vicks did nothing. The owner claimed she didn't know... Like seriously! It's skin was literally falling off and you didn't notice :barnie

:hugs
Cragg, have you been able to get the vent unblocked? That will probably help with the crop issue.
I'm trying to think what you can use to help dissolve/loosen that with the least amount of damage to the skin. I'm sure it's probably stuck, the skin underneath irritated too.
Maybe try mineral oil or coconut oil, working it under there so it will lift and then you can crush with some pliers. I do like to use pliers to crunch up poop balls, works well, but I see your point on that.

@Eggcessive may want to jump in, she's good with creative ideas as well.

@Wyorp Rock & @Eggcessive Thank you for coming along :hugs
I had put coconut oil on her Wyorp as I had it out anyway using it for another, and it does seem to be softening it! but no, i do not have her vent unblocked! i know this is vital. I am here with a flashlight and tweezers. I've only unblocked approx an inch inside her vent but there is more. I have already bled her a little in places - her skin is very raw, so I'm growing nervous about going in further. This poor girl is exhausted. She pushes every now and again but sure she can't get anything passed!! ! can not get even my little finger into her vent passed where i have cleared to. Any suggestions on how to get more out without pulling out her insides?? It's hurting her a lot to remove any right now

The fecal impaction will probably need to be removed by hand using the rubber gloves, a little at a time. Mineral oil inserted just barely into the vent might help. It is possible that she may have a blockage such as lash egg material or even cancer.

I like the mineral oil idea that Eggcessive suggested.

I know this is gross, but someone last year used a popsicle stick to help dig out a clogged vent. Strong but flexible and a blunt rounded end. Since this is a lifesaving measure, it would be worth a shot. I do believe the lady said there was a LOT that came out once she made an opening so be ready for that.

Of course, it was a very slow process.

Back
Top Bottom