Any idea how old this Silkie is?

Ytownstompa

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2023
How old is this silkie?

I’m a sucker for a cute chicken, what can I say?

I fell victim to this little girl at the local feed store and had to take her home.

She was in a pin with two other standard hens that looked to be around 3-4 months old.

I tried to get pictures of her comb etc, but she’s a squirmy little booger.

I’ve only ever had standard sized hens, so I’m not really sure how old she is. Is she already full grown? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpeg
    IMG_2319.jpeg
    776.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    787.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2314.jpeg
    IMG_2314.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2315.jpeg
    IMG_2315.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks about 4 months old to me. She is a satin silkie, which means her feathers are smooth, not fluffy.
That interesting. I don’t know a lot about silkies, but because she was so small, she broke my heart to see her waiting for a home. I have 14 girls who will lay, so she was a pet purchase :)

I was wondering why her feathers weren’t poofy like most of the pics I’ve seen. Someone else said she looked like a cross between silkie and Cochin bantam. I have no idea as the counter person had no idea about her at all.

That interesting. I don’t know a lot about silkies, but because she was so small, she broke my heart to see her waiting for a home. I have 14 girls who will lay, so she was a pet purchase :)

I was wondering why her feathers weren’t poofy like most of the pics I’ve seen. Someone else said she looked like a cross between silkie and Cochin bantam. I have no idea as the counter person had no idea about her at all.
There may be some Cochin ancestry, but she looks to me just like a smooth feathered Silkie. I hope she's getting along with your other chickens. It can be tough to introduce a single bird, let alone a bantam, into an established flock.

There may be some Cochin ancestry, but she looks to me just like a smooth feathered Silkie. I hope she's getting along with your other chickens. It can be tough to introduce a single bird, let alone a bantam, into an established flock.
Yea I was careful to be out there in the run with them a lot the first few days. She definitely got pecked, but nothing too bad. No feathers lost or getting cornered/pinned down. A few of the newer girls hang out with her and she likes to observe a lot still, but she came out of her shell really quickly.

Shes not getting bullied or pecked anymore after a few days and they accepted her into the coop at night from day one. All of the birds are 4-6 months and from 3 batches with her being the 4th batch as a single. They have a 400 sq/ft run to spread out and two coops, so they get things sorted out pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom