ID help

dnsmith19

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2022
Can anyone help me ID the breed of this hen? She was purchased as a chick from TSC and was labeled as a Prairie Bluebell but as she has grown I am not convinced because everything I’ve read about Prairie Bluebells says they only have pea combs and are a lightweight bird. This is my biggest girl in the flock and definitely not a pea comb. Just curious what she may be. She’s also my low gal on the totem pole and the most picked on. 😭 I’m pretty sure she’s the only hen I have that’s also not laying yet and she’s at least 6.5- 7 months old. Any info appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6825.jpeg
    IMG_6825.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6824.jpeg
    IMG_6824.jpeg
    867.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 20
Just curious what she may be.
Do you know which hatchery they use? This could rule some things in or out. Well, upon a little more digging.. PBB is trademark name.. so probably Hoover's..

https://hoovershatchery.com/prairiebluebellegger.html

I see the barring and it looks dead on for Welbar (I got several this year, early June hatched just coming into lay).. but could also be olive or egger type.. including the prarie bluebell.. Knowing what little I do about genetics.. straight combs can pop up see this thread for similar discussion..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/has-anyone-seen-a-prairie-bluebell-look-like-this.1574203/

Who knows anything for real with all the hybrids being offered at hatchery these days (and mix ups at hatchery and store)?! Hopefully eggs will help clear things up a bit, SOON. :fl

Lovely lady! :love

She is a Bielefelder.
Here is mine at around 24 weeks now, no eggs, but that's ok.
We have 2 and both are the sweetest but on the bottom of the ranks even though are twice the size of the others too!
She looks like a Bielefelder to me, you'll know for sure once she starts laying though!
My thoughts exactly!

Back
Top Bottom