Any idea on this breed?

Redangler

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2012
Bradenton, FL
I have the opportunity to add a rooster to our flock but I am not quite sure of the breed. I am thinking Light Sussex but I'm not positive. Any help would be great. Also, would this be a good addition to a flock of 2 EE, 4 ISA Browns and 4 RIR.

He is about 4-5 months and my hens are about 2.5 months. Will there be any issues with them because of age?

Thanks for your help.

The issue I'd be most concerned with is that he's reached sexual maturity and your pullets aren't even close. That means he will be harassing them for months to come and depending on how aggressive he is about it, they may not be very happy girls at all to have him around. I'd personally wait to introduce him until they are near POL. If you love him and can house him separately until they're ready, go for it. Otherwise, I'd wait or look for a cockerel their age or younger. And yes, he looks to be a light Sussex and absolutely gorgeous.

I think you're right on the breed. As far as putting him in with younger hens, you'd just have to try it and be prepared to pull him out if he's too aggressive with them. Most of my roos haven't tried to mate immature pullets, but I also cull heavily for temperment and behavior toward the ladies.

Ok I just calculated my girls age again and they are 12.5 weeks now. If I got the rooster next week and quarantined him for 30 days that would put my girls around 17 weeks. Is this still to early to be considered POL and would they still be unhappy with me? Thanks for all the advice already. First time flock owner and I learn more everyday from this site.

Also would you even recommend a rooster? I will not be concerned with fertile eggs but mostly for predator protection(most likely Hawks). I have a dog that lives outside and is very protective of the girls when they free range, but in the run they are susceptible to attacks from above. Will the benefits of having a rooster outweigh the negatives?

It kind of depends on the temperament of the roo. If he is a "good roo," he'll keep an eye out for hawks and warn his hens if he sees one. (Our roos yell alarms about just about everything that flies; with the goose migration on, they're going nuts.) He'll watch his hens and herd them back if he thinks they're getting into a dangerous part of the yard. And he'll find bugs and greens for them, and call them over to eat. He'll help keep order within the flock, just by being there; I also had a roo that would put himself between two fighting hens and stare them into giving up their quarrel. I generally prefer having a good roo around.

By contrast, a not-so-good roo can vary from being no worse than immature and self-centered--which improves with time--clear up to being a plain old thug who beats up your hens and comes after you. Many young roos are semi-hysterical bags of hormones for their first few months of sexual maturity, and can be a real nuisance to their hens. But a considerate roo will, even young, learn to leave the hens alone that are truly intimidated by him, and restrict his attentions to the bolder hens until the whole group accepts him. He'll learn to "take a hint" when a hen isn't feeling receptive. So you can sure give it a go with this lovely fellow, and the fact that he's a heavy breed may make him more placid in temperament. Just keep a close eye on his behavior, and have a "rooster jail" ready in case he needs a time out for a few weeks. After quarantine, and before actually adding him to the flock, I would pen him nearby so that the hens get used to seeing and hearing him. That will make the formal introduction a lot smoother.

And sometimes a young roo will have a rocky start, but turn out to be OK after all. I have a bantam roo who was a frighteningly persistent fellow when he was six months old; I finally had to re-home him because the hens were having no peace and the dominant roo wanted to kick him through the fence. With no other roos around, he settled right down with his two new girlfriends and turned into the most attentive father imaginable. He recently came back to me, and is doing very well so long as he and his hen and chicks have their own pen.

Back
Top Bottom