Any ideas for the edge around a duck pond?

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
We decided to make the duck pond a little nicer. Pictures were taken when we were first filling and adjusting the liner. The ducks decided that they couldn’t wait and wanted to try the new pond out before we had even finished filling it. I am still debating on what’s the best option for around the sides. I was originally thinking maybe some big flat landscaping rocks? Other ideas were rubber pavers, stone pavers or some polished river rock?
Attachment.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

I was going to say pavers would be too formal. But....

Now my mind's eye sees a raised edge, cement block or wood or tile sides, with bench seating around the top and a sprayer in the middle. Surrounded by decorative formal paths and a low herb and perennial garden to keep your sightline of the ducks clear. Toss in some koi or goldfish, maybe some duck safe fake floating lillypads. Put stepped planter boxes where you don't want seating for your duck ramp(s).

Or instead of European formal tea garden, maybe Japanese garden inspired with wooden walkways for sides.

Make it into a real visual showpiece.

Edit: duck heaven! For inspiration :)

298938169_1754062351597756_5210320436679197849_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to say pavers would be too formal. But....

Now my mind's eye sees a raised edge, cement block or wood or tile sides, with bench seating around the top and a sprayer in the middle. Surrounded by decorative formal paths and a low herb and perennial garden to keep your sightline of the ducks clear. Toss in some koi or goldfish, maybe some duck safe fake floating lillypads. Put stepped planter boxes where you don't want seating for your duck ramp(s).

Or instead of European formal tea garden, maybe Japanese garden inspired with wooden walkways for sides.

Make it into a real visual showpiece.

Edit: duck heaven! For inspiration :)

298938169_1754062351597756_5210320436679197849_n.jpg
Oh wow now I want an enchanted duck garden😂

I just like making it easy for the ducks to get in and out and enjoy.
We did grade the ends at an angle from the bottom up so it’s not a drop off, but yes that’s my biggest dilemma. I want it to be as duck friendly as possible for their little feet especially. I might look into the sand you mentioned and that would definitely be easy on the feet. I called around and found a guy nearby who sells sand, pavers, river rock, mulch etc. I think I might schedule to stop on by there.

Back
Top Bottom