Any ideas for the Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sorya C, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Sorya C

Sorya C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Canada
    My Coop
    I need some ideas for my chickens run. Lately we've been having lots of rain and our chicken run is getting really wet, like puddles of water on the sand, and the grass is soaked with some more puddles, I don't think the chicken like the extra water (right?) so we been trying to find something that would be less wet during these times so really the question is. Does anyone know what is the best thing to put on the floor of a chicken run? Right now our run is: half of the run is sand and the other half is grass and some dirt, so what would be the best thing to put there instead of grass and sand.
    Thank you so much. And please hurry because more rain is coming soon....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Most likely you are going to have to cover all or at least part of the run to keep the water out. Do you have good drainage or is the water standing?

1 person likes this.
  3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    you might have to do some digging and divert the water to another location if the water didnt' drain fast enough

2 weeks ago my backyard was flooded -- it rained all night the chickens didn't seem to mind the mud though

[​IMG]

4. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    I live on the Oregon coast and 2 years ago we started using straw in our run. We were having the same trouble with puddles of water. Make sure you have good run off and then put in a bail of straw. I don't even break it down. I let the girls do that. I just pull it apart into about 6 pieces and let them have at it. They love to scratch. Once in awhile I'll rack it around the level it out after they have scratched it up. As for you run, they will eat and scratch the whole thing down to bare dirt over time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by