Any ideas on breed and gender of my mystery chicks. *pic heavy*

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
I got these chicks from my local feed store. Im not sure what kind they are. I thought they were EEs when I bought them but later learned that they arent. They have pea combs and are about 3.5 weeks old. They were in the EE/Golden comet bin but I bought a chick from the same feed store that was in the barred rock bin and its turnin out to look like its actually a black sex link (which they didnt even have a bin for so Im guessin the hatchery either sent the wrong thing or they didnt label them correctly when they came in) so obviously these could be anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

This was them when I first got them

And now

Heres a close up of what the feathers look like.

I got them from our local feed store. They did have red sex links. Could that be what they are? I thought red sex links had single combs. These have pea combs.

Last edited:
I did a little lookin around. What about a white laced red cornish? I cant find any pics of them as little chicks but they kind of have the same brown inside white feathers that these have. Are those layers or meat birds? These are growin at the same rate as all the others. The biggest of my chicks is actually my BOs.

Can red sex links have pea combs?

ETA: I also have 2 golden comets which I think are considered red sex links but they have single combs. Thats why I ruled out the idea of these bein male golden comets.

Last edited:
If they were male sex links, they wouldn't be a red based color. That's the point of the sex link, the females are gold based and the males are silver based. I agree they look a lot like sex link pullets. Can you get a closer comb shot? I don't know of any commercial sex-link that would result in a pea comb.

Heres some pics of their combs and another pic of their feathers since they have a few more in now than they did in the above pics.

#1's comb

#2's comb

Feathers. This is chick #1

Back
Top Bottom