Any ideas on how to make a telephone pole look nice?

DixxieChick

Chirping
Jun 20, 2019
Southern Indiana
We are making a dog run for our new German Shepherd pup. A 150 ft steel cable will stretch from the front corner of our house back past the run, almost to the woods. We have to sink a telephone pole in front of our house to do this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the pole visually pleasing? My husband is not on board with the project because the pole will be an eyesore, and front and center. It's near the corner and right where you look back toward the yard and woods. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!!

We are making a dog run for our new German Shepherd pup. A 150 ft steel cable will stretch from the front corner of our house back past the run, almost to the woods. We have to sink a telephone pole in front of our house to do this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the pole visually pleasing? My husband is not on board with the project because the pole will be an eyesore, and front and center. It's near the corner and right where you look back toward the yard and woods. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Seems almost like overkill for a dog run. Why not just put up a fence?

Seems almost like overkill for a dog run. Why not just put up a fence?
I was assuming she meant the cable was attached to the telephone pole, and the dog would be attached to the long cable with a leash so it could run down the length of the cable.
What about planting some kind of vining flowering plant?

We have to sink a telephone pole in front of our house to do this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the pole visually pleasing? My husband is not on board with the project because the pole will be an eyesore, and front and center. It's near the corner and right where you look back toward the yard and woods. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here's the first things I think of:

Vining plants (either ones that grow for a single summer and make flowers, or perennials like grapes or ivy).

Attach brackets and have hanging baskets of flowering plants in the summer, then change to seasonal decorations for winter. Or skip the flowers in summer, and just change to different decorations for different seasons.

Put some kind of sculpture or flag on the pole, so it looks like the pole is for that purpose. Or a big sign with your name, so everyone knows who lives at this house.

Attach a light to the top of the pole, to light your driveway and yard (like a streetlight, but on your own property.)

Attach trellises to the pole and train lots of plants up them.

Add a second telephone pole, and put a decorative arch between them.

Plant one or more trees near the pole. As they grow bigger and have branches sticking out, the pole can pretend to just be another tree trunk.

Make the pole itself into a big carved & painted decoration, like a totem pole.

I'm trying to think of all the other reasons people put up poles... If you look around in your area, you'll probably find some more ideas that I've missed.

my solution would be to use a cable half the length, so not 150 yards but 75 yards, then place the pole 75 yards away from the house.

That way the dog can get to the woods and the house, not slam the cable into pant pots etc while chasing birds and the pole would be much further from the house.

A 150 ft steel cable will stretch from the front corner of our house back past the run, almost to the woods. We have to sink a telephone pole in front of our house to do this.

Can you attach the cable directly to the house, and skip the pole?

I had a pole like that, We planted some very tall shrubs and then I planted some beautiful flowers and the plants and flowers make it the focal point then no one can see past the beautiful plants and flowers we also put a small border around an it was very attractive. the pole will disappear or never be noticed.

Back
Top Bottom