Any ideas on the mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ringgoldvol, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ringgoldvol

Ringgoldvol Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Ringgold GA
    Hello Chickeners. Below is a picture of my favorite hen. We got her as a furball some time back thinking she was a silkie but obviously she is mixed. Any ideas? blue ears, beak and skin, 5 toes, constantly broody. Hatches 7 or 8 eggs every 3 months. Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    She's beautiful! No idea though, as blue ears and blue-ish black-ish skin, 5 tones, and broodiness are all Silkie qualities. She's definitely at least half Silkie! I'd be willing to bet even 3/4 Silkie.

3. Ringgoldvol

Mar 12, 2013
    Ringgold GA
    She doesn't like to be messed with much. She has always been skiddish. All her chicks have been black. we were hoping for a white one or two but to no avail. Thanks for the insight.

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    She appears to be a very normal looking "hatchery quality" Silkie. However, I cannot tell by the photo, if she has the Silkie feather type? If not, then she would be a cross.

5. Ringgoldvol

Mar 12, 2013
    Ringgold GA
    She has regular feathers but her body shape is not as up-right as a silkie so ??? I have just always wondered and this site has some real pro's so thought I would throw it out there. I am going to have to part with her and wanted a little more info. thanks

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She is definitely a Silkie mix. Her parentage was probably something like Full Silkie x Silkie mix. By the way, a good Silkie hen is not supposed to be upright, they should be very squatty (low to the ground, unless they're posing in that stance that makes them look like they're tail is almost touching the back of their head). She's very cute!!!
    Nikki

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah she's a classic Silkie mix.

But pretty unusual in being white. Not that many recessive white breeds around, a white silkie bred with a white ? certainly is possible and would give birds exactly like this but due to recessive whites being relatively uncommon would suspect probably a mix. white silkie crossed out to another breed then the results are mixed together, some of them would turn out like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by