Any ideas on what might be wrong with this girl?

I am interested to know if they were on medicated feed and she became ill after switching to non medicated.
If she was on medicated feed did you gradually switch or switch all at once?
I have read on here that switching with out weaning can cause an out break in the chicks. I was just wondering if that was the case here.
She was never on medicated feed. I keep it on hand just in case, but I almost never give my chicks meds. Plus, she was raised by her mama. It's uncommon (not rare by any means, but it doesn't happen often) for a chick the get coccidia if they are raised by Mama Hen. (If they are kept in clean conditions and well cared for, obviously.) The rest of the living chicks seem fine. No signs on any illness at all, but I've put Corid in their water just in case.

She is doing much better today. I am still having to prompt her to eat, but once she gets started she will eat some. She's so sweet. When I hold her she just snuggles up to me. I have amprolium in everything she's ingesting right now. She still won't eat enough to fill her crop, but she has had a few decent sized poops, so I know she does have something in her system. No sign of blood, either so that's at least something.

thumbsup.gif

Switchhing to medicated food will not help anthing. The medicated foor contains a very small amount of amprolium which helps keep the coccidia parasites from getting a foot hold in the first place. It does not contain enough to treat it after it starts and does not contain any other "medications". Don't over do the amprolium either. Mine love their gruel as a treat. Glad to hear she's perking up.

Last edited:
I just lost her. Out of the blue. I was not expecting this. I went in to check on her and she was laying in her usual nap corner. Fine. I picked her up and she tilted her head up and started gasping for breath, then turned her head to the side, almost like she had wry neck. I set her on the floor to see what she would do and she stumbled and fell over. I picked her back up and held her. At this point, watching her face, I knew she was about to die. All the sudden she started shaking her head and foaming at the mouth, then she started throwing up mucus. This was not coccidia. I took her outside to cull her and put her out of her misery, but she died before I could. At the very end she was convulsing and throwing up so badly, I wrapped her up in a towel and snuggled her while she died. I'm guessing some sort of respiratory infection? I'm going to post in Emergency/Disease, but do any of you have an idea? When I first brought her in I checked her for signs of other illnesses, including respiratory problem. I listened to her breathing, checked her nose and mouth for any discharge, smelled her breath, etc. It all seemed normal.
idunno.gif

My bantam hatched out 7 babies about 4 months ago. 1 disappeared overnight very early on, 3 are very clearly roosters which will be eaten at some point, which left 3 living girls. Well, 1 got a huge tumor on her face and had to be culled, and another had something go wrong wither her legs when she she was about 2 months old. I tried all sorts of slings and vitamins and things, but it got to the point where I would find her doing the splits, dehydrated because she couldn't drink the water before knocking it over, so she got culled. Which leaves this one little girl, living with her brothers for now. For a few days she's been standing funny. Sorta puffed up, with her eyes closed. No signs of coccidia, though I'm thinking I may treat her for it just in case? I'm going to Tractor Supply today, so I can pick up something else if you have a better idea.
This is what she looks like. It's all she does. Should I separate her? Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

There are some links at the bottom of this post, which should help you diagnose possible causes based upon the symptoms, and then gain further information about each possibility. To start with? Clean that waterer ... no offense intended, as I know they'll dirty it up in an hour or two.

Speaking of water? You might wanna add about a tablespoon per gallon of vinegar it, for all your birds ... won't hurt a thing, but is highly effective at helpin' to protect them from some bacteria, and possibly some virii (and, it make cleaning the waterer easier, too ~'-)

There are some links at the bottom of this post, which should help you diagnose possible causes based upon the symptoms, and then gain further information about each possibility. To start with? Clean that waterer ... no offense intended, as I know they'll dirty it up in an hour or two.

Speaking of water? You might wanna add about a tablespoon per gallon of vinegar it, for all your birds ... won't hurt a thing, but is highly effective at helpin' to protect them from some bacteria, and possibly some virii (and, it make cleaning the waterer easier, too ~'-)
Thanks for the links. :) And I did clean the waterer. I had thrown in some chick food for them to scratch at the afternoon before, so they had kicked who knows what into it, and I took they pic early that morning before feeding/watering/cleaning anything.
And do you mean apple cidar vinegar, or white vinegar? I have both.

Back
Top Bottom