Any ideas on what might be wrong with this girl?

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
My bantam hatched out 7 babies about 4 months ago. 1 disappeared overnight very early on, 3 are very clearly roosters which will be eaten at some point, which left 3 living girls. Well, 1 got a huge tumor on her face and had to be culled, and another had something go wrong wither her legs when she she was about 2 months old. I tried all sorts of slings and vitamins and things, but it got to the point where I would find her doing the splits, dehydrated because she couldn't drink the water before knocking it over, so she got culled. Which leaves this one little girl, living with her brothers for now. For a few days she's been standing funny. Sorta puffed up, with her eyes closed. No signs of coccidia, though I'm thinking I may treat her for it just in case? I'm going to Tractor Supply today, so I can pick up something else if you have a better idea.
This is what she looks like. It's all she does. Should I separate her? Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

They don't have to have bloody stools to still have coccidiosis - sometimes the bloody stools don't show up until right before they die. Puffed up is a sign of coccidiosis. Get some Corid in her water ASAP. If left untreated, she can die in a couple of days.

Has she layed eggs yet? not sure at 4 months, if she has been perhaps egg bound? no other symptoms?

Clinical Signs:
Loss of appetite, depression, abdominal straining, and sitting fluffed on the bottom of the cage. Some hens may pass large wet droppings while others may not pass any droppings due to the egg's interfering with normal defecation.

If you suspect that your bird is egg-bound, she should be seen by a vet immediately. The veterinarian may be able to feel the egg in the bird's abdomen. An x-ray may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis. Sometimes medical treatment will enable the hen to pass her egg. Occasionally surgery is necessary.
Complications from being egg bound can be swelling, bleeding or prolapse of the oviduct.http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html

http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/06/egg-bound-hens-how-to-recognize-treat.html

My bantam hatched out 7 babies about 4 months ago. 1 disappeared overnight very early on, 3 are very clearly roosters which will be eaten at some point, which left 3 living girls. Well, 1 got a huge tumor on her face and had to be culled, and another had something go wrong wither her legs when she she was about 2 months old. I tried all sorts of slings and vitamins and things, but it got to the point where I would find her doing the splits, dehydrated because she couldn't drink the water before knocking it over, so she got culled. Which leaves this one little girl, living with her brothers for now. For a few days she's been standing funny. Sorta puffed up, with her eyes closed. No signs of coccidia, though I'm thinking I may treat her for it just in case? I'm going to Tractor Supply today, so I can pick up something else if you have a better idea.
This is what she looks like. It's all she does. Should I separate her? Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

No, this isn't egg bound. I think it's cocci. She is acting very much like some chicks I had before that had coccidia. Thank you both. I put some Corid in her water and put out some medicated feed for them. She isn't eating or drinking on her own hardly at all, so I'm going to bring her inside in a small kennel and see if I can work some magic. =P Worse comes to worse, I'll lose her with her sisters. :( I should have caught it earlier. I feel silly that I didn't. Learn something new every day I guess.

ETA: I dropper "fed" her some of the Corid water. She want's happy with me, but I did it anyways. I had a bunch of chicks about 4 months old get it before, and lost one to it. I very quickly put Corid in their water and gave them medicated feed, and the rest were fine. I was sitting there, watching them poop blood and stumble sideways and thinking "They are all gonna die. What have I done?" and they perked right back up and were fine the next day, so I have a little hope for her. I'll give her a lot of TLC and hope and pray for the best.

Last edited:
No, this isn't egg bound. I think it's cocci. She is acting very much like some chicks I had before that had coccidia. Thank you both. I put some Corid in her water and put out some medicated feed for them. She isn't eating or drinking on her own hardly at all, so I'm going to bring her inside in a small kennel and see if I can work some magic. =P Worse comes to worse, I'll lose her with her sisters. :( I should have caught it earlier. I feel silly that I didn't. Learn something new every day I guess.
awww pool lil thing : (

We are not vets, its not your fault all we can do is learn as we go right???
hugs.gif

Well, believe it or not she's perked up. The bowl of what looks like filthy water is actually a "gruel" made up of grower feed, water, probiotics, and Corid. Is it safe to mix electrolytes with Corid? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I want to make sure. She has a little grower and medicated starter in there with her. She won't eat solids on her own accord, which is why I mixed the gruel for her. At first I had to dropper feed it to her, but now if I pick some up on a spoon and dip her beak in it she eats at it vigorously. Her crop was empty when I first brought her in, not even water inside it, and it's not full now by any means but she definitely has something in there now. She has not had a decent poop yet, so I keep feeding her every so often. Her insides seem mostly empty, poor girl. :(

I am interested to know if they were on medicated feed and she became ill after switching to non medicated.
If she was on medicated feed did you gradually switch or switch all at once?
I have read on here that switching with out weaning can cause an out break in the chicks. I was just wondering if that was the case here.

Back
Top Bottom