Any ideas what may be wrong with my chicken ??? UPDATE 5/10

My first suspicion at that age is always cocci. The hunched appearance and hamburgery, mucousy poop are classic symptoms. Some chicks are more resistant to the protozoan that causes it, but some really are badly affected.

OK one detail that I forgot to mention earlier. All of these chicks were raised on medicated starter. However when I put them in wiff my 3 hens 2+ weeks ago I changed feed. Now the change was not sudden I did a transition over about a week. The new food is mixed locally and I don't remember for sure what it has. NO added Calcium !!!

OK so how do I treat for cocci ? And if I treat the whole herd can I still use the eggs from my 3 hens?

ETA OOOPS silly me chickens aren't in a herd. That is the former goat keeper coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way is liquid Corid (concentrated Amprolium) 9.6% solution. Mine comes in a 16 oz bottle. Give about 9 cc in a gallon waterer once a day for five to seven days. Sulmet is used, but it may make the intestinal bleeding continue longer than it should. Also, adding dry powdered milk to their crumbles will help a bit with their intestinal irritation. It'd be best to remove the chicks, but the Corid will not hurt the eggs since it is not an antibiotic.

Medicated feed doesn't work as well as it used to for some reason. Mine always were raised on it, but in the last two years, I've had to treat every batch of youngsters for cocci.

Speckledhen Thanks I went to town today and got the Corid but didn't get home til late so will get it out there early am. The bottle I got is made by Merial. It makes no reference to chickens and the feed store didn't really know but one person there said I should not use the eggs (from my 3 hens) for at least a week. I do have the sick bird isolated but if I need to treat the entire flock I have no place to put that many birds that size. Should I treat the entire flock and if so should I toss the eggs from my 3 hens for a while (I hope not).
Thanks I really appreciate your help and have a lot of faith in what you say.
Thanks Rob

Quote:
Hi Rob,

I've been lurking on your thread, and i had just a couple of observations.

First, I've noticed that quite a few people mistakenly think that Amprolium/Corid is an antibiotic, so they give advice based on that. That may be why the person at the feed store told you not to use the eggs.

Second, Speckledhen give just about the most conservative advice of anyone about when to use the eggs - meaning she's not at all afraid to toss eggs if she has any suspicion that it might not be ok for someone to eat them.

So i wouldn't be worried about the eggs if she isn't.

My only authority here is that i spend a lot of time reading the threads on BYC - it's my way of getting educated about chickens, so i've started noticing the patterns.

Good luck! I'm betting your flock will be back to normal in no time.
wink.png

lismrog Yes I know what ya mean about spekledhen. I totally trust what she has to say. I too am lurking on many threads for educational purposes. I knew nothing about chickens when I joined BYC. I still have a VERY LIMITED amount of knowledge but I know where I can get answers.

Well at the advice of speckledhen and a couple of others I began treating with Corid. Today was day 2 and I see some improvement. While she is not 100% it is encouraging. She is eating good and drinking good. I also treated the rest of the flock with the exception of my 3 banties who are in a different pen and I cant treat them right now.
BTW while I was at the feed store asking about Corid and if I could use the eggs. I told them "well ifya don't seeme in the next couple of weeks ya will know not to eat eggs from chickens that have had Corid". I am not concerned about it. I figure if it is good enough for my animals it is good enough for me. If it is not good enough for me do I really want to give it to my animals.
I will update as we see changes.
Thank you all for your help Rob

BYC people are great !!!!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom