Any ideas what type of hens these are?

tombekarc

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Middletown, NY
Please help anser my curiosity. I have a few hens and a rooster. I know that I have Red Sex links & Cuckoo Marans, but I inherited some new girls that I am having trouble identifying.

One looks like a hawk, is brown with blue in the feathers and the pattern is very pretty. She also has a dark (bluish) neck. She lays small bluish eggs.

The other 5 are mysteries too. These hens walk upright like Dark Cornishes, but they have feathers down their legs. They are all different colors; 2 are white with other colors mixed in, 1 is all black (with blue/green colors) and black legs, 1 is black and other colors mixed in with orange legs and the last is brown, grey, white etc. I am certain that they are a mix of breeds, but not sure what.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I apologize for poor quality of photos.

hens1.jpg

new-girls3b.jpg

new-girls5b.jpg

new-girls6b.jpg

new-girls8b.jpg

you can either respond or email me at [email protected]

How old are they? In the second pic the only one that looks like a girl is the black one. The other three I am saying are boys. The one looking at us and the one with his head in his wing appear to be EE roos. Are you asking for identification of the girls in the top pic? If so the dark one looks like a dark cornish or a cornish cross, and the other is a red sex-link. The two white ones could be roos as well, but it is hard for me to get a body profile from the pics. Hope this helps you.

Wow, I hope they aren't roosters. If they are, my Cuckoo Maran roo is awfully mixed up cause he keeps trying to climb onboard them.
They are 5 or 6 months old. So is my cuckoo maran roo and he is crowing and chasing all the girls. These ones just cluck and coo at me and follow me around.

I think your cuckoo maran rooster is either confused or desperate. Looks like you inherited a bunch of crossbred cockerels. In the first picture you have a dark cornish and a red sex link hen. Sorry about the others.

In the first picture with the blue in the feathers and the pattern reminds me of a Barnevelder as I am researching the breed right now. But the egg color doesn't sound right for the breed. Pretty though. Maybe Welsummer?

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom