Any Integration Advice?

Chicky Lover

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Texas
Hello everyone! So I have five, seventeen week old pullets, they're friendly kind and so talkative. Uh... I have 1 leghorn, 1 GLW, 1 RIR, 1 Sapphire Blue, and 1 EE. About one or two weeks ago I got two new chicks, I am guessing they are four or five weeks old. And I have no idea if they're pullets or cockerels, or what breeds they are. But anyways back to the point, I was hoping to integrate them soon, so if anyone has some advice on how to move the littles with the bigs I'd really love that. :D

Could I section off a piece of the coop for them, and give them some hiding places?:idunno

Pretty much that. Here's my integration article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ You'll want to start off by having them just in line of sight of each other, so wherever you can safely section off space for the chicks (coop or run) is where you'll start. You'll want to do it ASAP as most early integration plans take advantage of chicks being much smaller than adults.

Here's some tips that might help....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I like them to do it on their terms not mine. I vote for a one way gate, a safety zone and a small dog crate. I set it up in the run. I make it a see no touch, day one and two. At dark, I close up the dog crate, and put in coop. Repeat. Day three, I lift the bottom edge of the fence, just high enough so the chicks can go out or in, but the older girls can’t follow them. This allows the chicks to explore and retreat. By lifting the whole edge, they can get to safety, from any where. So they don’t get trapped from the escape.

Then when I start seeing them out and about, I still carry the dog crate to the coup, but now I leave the crate open, and they come out on their own. And usually will return to the coop at night.

Done in less than a week.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom