Any issues when feeding adult ducks laying pellets?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I know that laying pellets are designed for laying chickens, but when I research the typical protein level for breeding ducks and it stated 16-18%.

We usually pick up feed at Tractor Supply, which carries Dumor feeds. I usually buy their laying pellets for my breeding chickens and would like to feed it to my ducks as well.

I just don't care for mash and a couple sources on the internet claimed that ducks actually lost nutrients when fed mash. Couldn't figure out the logic behind that, but either way. I'm a pellet person, every time I feed mash it gets lost in the dirt, then gets wet, and stink to high heaven and attracts flies.
big_smile.png

So, will I encounter any problems by feeding them laying pellets? (16% Dumor Laying Pellets)

-Kim

I feed layer pellets by Dumor as well, nothing wrong with 'em yet.
big_smile.png

The bag has a chicken and a duck on the front, I think they're either 16% or 18% protein, but to really boost egg production, I toss a little dog/cat food in their water bowl. They go CRAZY! And it means more eggs for me.
smile.png

No specific brand, per se, but anything with higher protein will work. It must boost their energy or something, eh?

By 'losing' nutrients, do they mean lost feed?
On the ground and in their water, for example?

Excellent! Just what I was hoping to hear.

I can save money by buying laying pellets in bulk, but once I buy bulk, everything has to go into containers and to have a TON of trash cans filled with various feeds can be a hassle. Instead, I can buy in bulk and not have to worry about not using the "duck" food fast enough or not using the "chicken" food fast enough. LOL

As for the "losing nutrients" I don't know! I was trying to figure that out, they said they can lose up to 10% of the nutrients if fed mash. It was for commercial duck raising, so maybe it was the actual losing of the feed itself. I don't know! I'll try to find that artical again.

-Kim

Last edited:
Quote:
My drakes have never had problems with layer pellets.
tongue.png

I feel that if they can run around for the majority of the day and eat grasses and bugs instead of being cooped up in their pen, they can balance out their calcium intake themselves. I may try to just use regular feed with oystershell, but that's in the future. Mayhaps I'll buy chicken/duck feed, and allow the two species intermingle with one another. Free ranging that is.
big_smile.png

It WOULD be easier than buying two separate feeds until the chickens start to lay...

Glad your drakes are ok. Free ranging can fix a lot. Fresh air and sunshine...some bugs, worms and weeds...what more could a duck as for? LOL

I know that roosters and drakes don't need that extra calcium, but I appreciate you making sure I knew about it. That could definately possibly be a future issue.

I appreciate the advice and comments everyone. I was just making sure that there wasn't some freak ingrediant in Dumor laying pellets that would mess with the ducks in some undesireable way. Never know what they put in those commercial feeds these days!
lol.png

-Kim

Related to this...how old do they have to be before eating pellets? I have 10 week olds, and am still feeding them crumble - but it's a mess, and ends up EVERYWHERE...most especially their water. Can they have pellets now?

Back
Top Bottom