Any members that are NPIP certified, I have questions.

MissPrissy wrote:NPIP is concerned with your food chain. Nothing else. The program is focus solely on the pullorum typhoid virus being irradicated from your food sources.

The salmonella is transfered from the hen to the egg. You can't prevent it or treat. It spreads quickly through a flock.

They are not concerned if your birds have other diseases that infect each other. The concern is that if you like your eggs sunny side up, over easy or make mayonnaise that your eggs are clean and you won't die from food poisoning.

It has nothing to with NAIS or other poultry concerns.

If you sell eggs to the public for consumption in my opinion it is your responsibility to make sure the eggs you are selling won't cause someone to become sick and possibly die from food poisoning. While us normal and very healthy people can deal with it over a few days and recover, the elder, small children and those taking certain prescribed drugs won't be able to fight off the virus and can die from its effects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit it right on the button MissPrissy!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
That's funny! I'am a State Certfied Tester.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Someones gotta do it!

Oh and Mr. J is a great guy. Very knowledgeable.

Kevin is this you? Joking! I was told there are only 6 testers in the whole state?

I musta met the wrong one, hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
How does testing for pullorum-typhoid prevent salmonella outbreaks? Sorry I'm so confused, I've read and reread MissP's posts and I still am not making the connection.

I was told that we tested for Pullorum-Typhoid to prevent outbreaks in other flocks, there was no mention of food.
How does P/T affect eating eggs or meat?

Pullorum typhoid is the salmonella virus that is a food born pathogen that causes people to die each year from each spoiled or contaminated foods. NPIP is through the USDA - United States Department of Agriculture. They control your food chain.

The virus is passed from the hen to the egg. All chicks that hatch from those eggs are carriers and pass the virus through to their eggs and a chain reaction has begun.

To date, in the state of Virginia, it has been 7+ years since the state vets office has seen a live case of salmonella in poultry that have been tested. Which is great news. Our food chain is doing its job. We have seen the virus irradicted in commercial birds being tested here but the potential for it to happen is real and it is lurking in the wings somewhere. There are thousands of strains of salmonella. They can mutate and be changed in the blink of an eye and we have no drugs to stop them at that point. When testing for the specific salmonella that infect chickens and eggs other salmonella mutations react positively to the tests as well - the same salmonella that was in the peanutbutter that shut down so many sales recently.

Not all backyard breeders are the same. I have seen some very nasty, filthy places where I wouldn't dare eat an egg or a chicken that came out of there but should those people take a nice clean looking carton of eggs to the farmer's market and sell them to me how do I know where they came from? Virus is bred in filth. Dirty pens, runs, barns and coops are the feeding ground for bacteria and virus.

If you plan to eat eggs or sell them to other people to eat you own it to yourself and the people you are feeding to know your eggs are salmonella free and they can't get sick (and even die) from your farm fresh production.

Now - if a bird tests positive for the pullorum typhoid virus it is quarentined and the state comes in and does a culture to grow the virus so it can be identified. If it is salmonella the only way to stop the spread or an out break that could cause every chicken in a 5 mile radius to be destroyed is to cull it.

Salmonella is serious. This is a disease that if it shows up in your flock it has to be reported under penalty of law. However it is not the only reportable disease chickens can carry. Many diseases are required to be reported and the only way to contain them is to cull and burn. This is why is so important to practice good biosecurity, extra good sanitation methods and knowing when to cull a bird and not coddle its symptoms with medications that do nothing more than hide disease. Animal husbandry is a responsiblity that sadly many flock owners refuse to meet.

Here in florida in our FFA chapter we just got our birds tested, I believe it was free. But my advisor may have paid the fees out of her pocket.

The testing was interesting, besides the silkies... oh gosh, those two always misbehave. Overall the tester was very professional and enjoyed showing us his job and explaining us his job.

Miss Prissy thank you!
Now I know that it is important even as a breeder to do this. After all you never know who is going to eat the eggs or the meat from any of the chickens I might sell.

So, Pullorum-Typhoid IS salmonella... I wonder how in all my reading, I never did see that even mentioned!

I just sent for information on NPIP certification. I would like to make sure for my own families safe eating that all my biddies are salmonella free. I keep em' clean, dry, fed and spoiled but that don't mean they don't have some nasty lurking around in there. Just as a precaution it's a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom