Any New Zealanders?

So exciting - I saw movement in a few eggs last night
ep.gif

Fingers crossed they get to hatch
fl.gif

Any little chickies yet?
big_smile.png

no chicks yet - i'm "expecting" them to hatch around sunday 27th and monday 28th, so 4 to 5 more "painful" waiting days for me ...
fl.gif
I was so impatient waiting for our ones to arrive lol It's amazing how fast they grow, ours are coming up to 2 weeks old now and they've got feathers!!!!!

jumpy.gif
lol, i know that feeling of impatientness well
wink.png

I'm looking forward to experiencing their growth - they don't hatch out totally "naked" do they? I envision them hatching out all cute and fluffy yellow LOL (very much doubt that, but at least some fluff).

My ones hatched moist lol dunno if that is normal they went fluffy once they had dried off (under the mummy)

It's been a scorcher here today the girls have been drinking heaps of water and making dust baths in the garden ( trying to destroy my corn growing) naughty chickens lol

I only had one egg this morning, think its been a bit too hot for them lately.
D.gif

My ones hatched moist lol dunno if that is normal they went fluffy once they had dried off (under the mummy)

It's been a scorcher here today the girls have been drinking heaps of water and making dust baths in the garden ( trying to destroy my corn growing) naughty chickens lol

I only had one egg this morning, think its been a bit too hot for them lately.
D.gif

3 to 4 more days - according to my calculations, never mind nature
wink.png

YAY by the time I see the chick (fingers still crossed they hatch and survive) it should be dry and past the "moist" stage
tongue.png

Oh my golly, within 5 minutes of opening up their enclosure (which is around 25 metres away from our house boundary and of course our gardens) they're kicking dirt over my garden paths, and I do think my chooks prefer to take a dust bath in our gardens too
smile.png

It's been quite cold down our way, sometimes muggy feeling. We usually average 8 eggs a day out of the 10 hens that are currently laying, but today they only laid us 5
hit.gif
still a good number considering we fill a tray a week normally
big_smile.png

I can't wait to get mt first egg. My girls were 9 weeks old yesterday so I'm half way there hopefully. It must be so exciting going into the coop and finding eggs waiting for you each day. Do you find that you use all yours or are you giving them away or selling them when there's too many? I was reading on this forum about freezing them too.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get mt first egg. My girls were 9 weeks old yesterday so I'm half way there hopefully. It must be so exciting going into the coop and finding eggs waiting for you each day. Do you find that you use all yours or are you giving them away or selling them when there's too many? I was reading on this forum about freezing them too.

It's an awesome moment, you're going to love it
woot.gif
You're either going to treasure the precious egg for a wee while, or eat one of the freshest eggs you've ever eaten - which tastes that much better because it's produced by one of your girls
D.gif

I loved opening the coop door to see the first egg - I loved it that much I took a photo
lau.gif
I never get tired of retrieving their eggs each day, although the more eggs there are the more exciting it is for me
wee.gif
When we reach a tray of eggs (in approximately 7 days) we either give it to our neighbour who we often trade with, or we'll sell the tray for $5 (which everyone tells us is too cheap).

Freezing eggs, I've never heard of that before, I must read up on it. Just recently we tried our first smoked egg, not too sure how long this extends the "life" of the egg, but it was delicious, even more so with cheese for me
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom