Any of you raise and release?

moeell1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Any of you raise quails especially Bob's to release back into the world? To help repopulate the world with Bob's? if so what age do you let them go? Thanks!!

Some States Do Allow This With Special Licencing But It Must Be Done In A Certain Manner To Ensure The Birds Make It In The Wild. They Are Raised In Very Large Flight Pens And Have No Contact With Peopleor Any Other Animals--- Any Feeding/ Watering/ Maintenance To The Pen Is Done Under The Vail Of Darkness After Nightfall... Its Kind Of Complicated. As Far As Joe The Hobbyist Raising Bobs And Turning Them Loose Upon The World With A "fly, Be Free!" Send Off--- No. What Happens Is Joe The Hobbyist Has No Clue About What He's Doing And He Releases Birds Into The Wild That Will Only Live Long Enough To Spread Catastrophic Illness To The Wild Population And Wipe Out All Quail For 3 States In Any Direction, Therefore Most States Have Enacted Laws To Prevent This And Help Safeguard Wild Populations.

For The Record The Joe The Hobbyist Isnt A Theory It Was A Lesson Learned The Hard Way By Many State Dnr Departments.

I personally dont believe in raising an animal to release into the wild. My kids on the other hand have no problem leaving cage doors open for this purpose.

Quote:
I am curious. I don't doubt what you say about spreading contagious diseases, but what diseases would they be? A quail in captivity would seem to have less exposure than those in the wild. If anything, the released birds would seem to be at more risk than the wild ones that have been dealing with a lot of adversity. What would a bird raised in captivity have that would not be endemic in a wild population?

David

Domestically Raised Birds Are Usually Not The Only Speces Raised By Folks--- Rarely Do People Have The Knowledge And Desire To Persue This Effort Without At Least Some Background In Poultry Keeping--- Thus The Source For Your Endemics. Illnesses That Quail Are Susceptible To In Captivity That They Get From Other Forms Of Domestic Poultry Such As Encephalitis, Enteritis, The Mycoplasma Illnesse Like Coryza, Even Black Head From Turkeys And A Host Of Other Illnesses--- The Problem Is That Quail Have Not Been Domesticated For Near As Long As Other Forms Of Poultry... Therefore They Havent Built Immunities To These Illnesses, Or Are Simply Incapable Of Building Immunities To Them.... This Is The Same Reason Why You Should Not Keep Quail In Contact With Other Forms Of Poultry. 1 Carrier Set Free May Be The Typhoid Mary That Wipes Out Entire Quail Populations For As Far As You Could Imagine In Any Direction. This Is The Primary Reason Why Release Is Regulated So Tightly By Most States. These Programs Usually Have To Be Compliant With A Great Deal Of Regulations And Inspections From State Authorities Throughout The Growing Period--- All Set In Place To Help Prevent This Occurance, As Well As Ensure A Decent Chance Of Survival For Your Release Birds.

Be It Known That Many States Fish And Wildlife Dept's Run Their Own Hatcheries That Are Geared Toward Release And Restock. Not That They Are Any Less Susceptible To The Same Problems As We Are--- But Then Again Its Their Responsibility And Liability, Not Ours
smile.png

That brings up another good question though. Since many of us free range our chicken, ducks, turkeys, or whatever, aren't we actually introducing disease into any native bird's natural enviroment? Couldn't this have the same affect as releasing birds? I mean that are very few wild birds roaming around my area, but with all of my fowl roaming through the same wood/thickets that they could be wouldn't that still be the same chance to spread desease?

Back
Top Bottom