Any One Put In There Seed Orders Yet?

garden is planted!

wink.png

Have not placed my order yet, I have tons of heirloom seeds stock piled. I need to start using those, but I did pick up some dill seed along with some white radish and a white pumpkin seeds that I got at our farm store this past weekend. I picked up some hybrid corn varieties to try with my Golden Bantam corn. I also got this really cool Chocolate Cherry Tomato seed.

We are going to expand the garden as soon as the ground has warmed up. Probably in May. Hopefully April, but I don't think we'll be that lucky. Im going to start everything indoors first then transplant. The garden will have varieties of:
corn
Peas
Beans-bush and pole
Radish
carrots
zuchini
cucumber
pumpkin
green pepper
tomato-most of those will be in those upside down planters or a big pot. I get a quicker and healthier yield in the upside down planters though.
lettus-in planters/pots
green onion-in pots

I also want to add some more fruit trees, a peach or a pear and an American Hazelnut Tree.
Im sure I'll find more to plant though!!

Probably this week. I used to start all my stuff in the house but have given up on that over the past couple of years. Lately I've been buying plants from Burpee and had fairly good luck with them. I get my seeds from Johnny's in Maine and Harris in NY. Used to buy from Parks in SC (40 yrs) but their customer service is so terrible that I not only don't buy from them but toss their catalog as soon as it comes in the house.

Quote:
I had never heard of tomato fest. I checked out their web site, and they do have a lot of varieties, but their prices are high. I have already ordered for this year, but will keep them in mind for next year.

Do you take any special measures to collect seed? I'm guessing there has to be a fair amount of cross pollination. I have been hooked on heirloom tomatoes for many years.

I was looking at the catalogs.Getting some tomatillos,ground cherry,amaranth,asian greens,chia,lettuce,zebrea hollyhock,aster,and corns that grown 12-16 feet.

Ordered and received! I order from Johnny's in ME, Baker Creek in MO, and this year, got some sweet habanero seeds from Burpee. Lots of tomatos, peppers (sweet and hot) beans, kale, spinach, chard, eggplant, cucumbers, cabbage, squash (summer and winter), watermelon, lettuces and other greens. Putting in an herb garden this year, too.

We put in a 3 tier plant light stand this year, so I will be starting lots of seeds inside. Got an indoor herb garden growing now, as well as an ornamental pepper, plus some sprouts for the chickens.

Quote:
I had never heard of tomato fest. I checked out their web site, and they do have a lot of varieties, but their prices are high. I have already ordered for this year, but will keep them in mind for next year.

Do you take any special measures to collect seed? I'm guessing there has to be a fair amount of cross pollination. I have been hooked on heirloom tomatoes for many years.

Yes, Tomato fest is a little higher than some companies though they do have sales and you always get a free packet of seeds but the thing I've noticed about some seed companies is that from year to year you'll have differences in the quality of your tomatoes. I've had determinates that grew out indeterminate or out of the packet of seeds you'd get a potato leaf variety and these are HEIRLOOMS so it's not like they're throwing a weird gene in there or something like you'd get if you were saving seed from a hybrid so that's not acceptable. Sometimes the flavor would be flat or yield would be off. Tomato fest, Bakers, Seed Savers and a couple of others can always be trusted to throw consistent results which is important to me. I want that oxheart that I loved so much last year to taste and look and produce just like it did last year. I don't know if other seed companies are getting their seeds from other sources or if their breeding practices are haphazard .....well, I just don't know but that's why I've narrowed my choices of seed providers to just five or six companies.
Tomatoes don't cross pollinate as easily as say, corn does. I put the different varieties (if I plan to collect seed from them) about 8 feet apart (though my tomato growing mentor says five is adequate).

Back
Top Bottom