Any One Put In There Seed Orders Yet?

Quote:
What did you need to know? Potatoes are really pretty easy. You can get seed potatoes or just snag some from the organic section at the grocery store. I like to let them sit around awhile and actually get some buds on the eyes so I know for sure that they're going to grow okay once I get them in the ground. The night before you plant you want to cut a generous piece of the potato with an eye or two on it and set it out to dry. After that you just dig a hole, I like a little bone meal in the hole only because our soil is a little low on the calcium end of things but we have good manure over the top so it's pretty fertile otherwise. If you need some fertilizer make sure it's not too hot or a new application when you plant. Heap up the dirt around the potato piece so you have a nice big hill. And wait.

Quote:
I have read about this method, and haven't tried it yet. This will be my first year to try it. Making tire towers w/ potatoes planted in the middle, you start w/ 1 or 2 tires, then as the potato plant grows you add more tires one at a time and mulch, leaves, dirt etc... keep it up until the plant dies off same as any other potato planting way, then at the end of the growing time the tires should be full of potatoes all the way down.

Like I said this is what I've read, not from experience yet.

I've grown potatoes for years, usually saved a few of the smaller potatoes from the previous year and planted those. Then early blight hit so I'm back to buying certified seed. I used to hill them once or twice a summer but last year I experiment with planting them under black plastic. I simply cut a small hole in the plastic, dug a hole in the dirt just off the edge of that hole and dropped in the cut seed tater. Once the plants came up I made sure they were growing through the plastic. After the plants died off, I lifted up the plastic and picked up the potatoes. Only problem I had was a little slug damage on some of the potatoes but the yield was as good as it has every been with a heck of a lot less work. I planted 50 hills divided between red, yellow and Idaho russets.

I should mention, btw, that I cover most of my garden with black plastic mulch to keep down weeds, warm the soil, and keep moisture in. Started it about 30 years ago with strips between the rows and graduated to covering just about everything. It means I work hard twice: once in the spring when I lay it down and again in the fall when I pull it up and put it away. Lately I've been buying heavy, construction grade stuff from Lowe's that lasts about 4 yrs before the UV breaks it down.

Quote:
I KNOW!!! It isn't fair that there are thousands of tomatoes and I just don't have room for that
lol.png
I ordered from SandHill last year, will do so again - great prices and selection. I like Seed Savers Exchange too, and there's a few from Seeds of Change I just have to try someday...

I was getting ready to put in a Burpee order when my husband and I stopped in at the local Job Lot and found just about all the veggies I was going to order there on sale. Instead of spending $75 on seeds I spent $28. There was only two types of seeds they didn't have. I have my basement all set-up to start seeds next month. I can't wait till Spring gets here.

Ordered and received--all $230 worth!! We ordered from Baker Creek, and also got info on their new place, Comstock & Ferre (drooling over the Tulip bulbs!). Let's see, here's some of what we got:

Peppers: Black Knight, Black Hungarian, Wht. Habanero, Pasilla Bajio, Quadrato di Asti, Jalapeno, Red Cheese....
Tomato: Striped Roman, Cherry....
Beans: Scarlett Runner, Chinese Red Noodle, Cherokee Trail of Tears...
Squash: Australian Butter, Black Futsu, Rouge Vif d'Etampes, Galuex du Elsynies, Musquee de Provence...

Other things too that just don't come to mind. We did just this year plant some imported Italian grape vines that a fellow gardener's grandfather brought over--too cool.
big_smile.png

Quote:
What did you need to know? Potatoes are really pretty easy. You can get seed potatoes or just snag some from the organic section at the grocery store. I like to let them sit around awhile and actually get some buds on the eyes so I know for sure that they're going to grow okay once I get them in the ground. The night before you plant you want to cut a generous piece of the potato with an eye or two on it and set it out to dry. After that you just dig a hole, I like a little bone meal in the hole only because our soil is a little low on the calcium end of things but we have good manure over the top so it's pretty fertile otherwise. If you need some fertilizer make sure it's not too hot or a new application when you plant. Heap up the dirt around the potato piece so you have a nice big hill. And wait.

so if i put on a mound once it starts to come up do i cover it again

Quote:
=======
I usually buy from Baker Heirloom and Seed Savers too. Haven't placed my order yet. I'm really really behind in starting my tomatoes, and my plants from last year (which I brought in before the first frost last fall) are just now going kaput.

Better get off my duff. I've got humans, goats and chickens to feed!

Quote:
Yep I got way carried away this year:
A order from Territorial seed, also orders from Tomato fest, Horizon herb, Cherry gal, high mowing seed and heirloom sweet potato slips from Sandhill. ( I would have ordered seed from them but the on line catalog was still 2010, so I did not know what is in stock or not...
sad.png

I was all set to order from Seedsaver exchange but fell in love with a squash they did not have..
Will be saving seeds in a big way this fall... I brushed up on my horticultural terminology and made sure I did not get varieties that will cross pollinate... So no need to bag or tape flowers and hand pollinate..
smile.png
That is my excuse for having to order from so many different places...
lau.gif

-------
I am very much enjoying the potato talk! I would like to find an easier way.

ON

Quote:
Yep I got way carried away this year:
A order from Territorial seed, also orders from Tomato fest, Horizon herb, Cherry gal, high mowing seed and heirloom sweet potato slips from Sandhill. ( I would have ordered seed from them but the on line catalog was still 2010, so I did not know what is in stock or not...
sad.png

I was all set to order from Seedsaver exchange but fell in love with a squash they did not have..
Will be saving seeds in a big way this fall... I brushed up on my horticultural terminology and made sure I did not get varieties that will cross pollinate... So no need to bag or tape flowers and hand pollinate..
smile.png
That is my excuse for having to order from so many different places...
lau.gif

-------
I am very much enjoying the potato talk! I would like to find an easier way.

ON

You are going to be very busy this year.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom