Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Love all the pics being posted, lots of beautiful birds out there. I love the baby pics, they are so funny. The meaties stories made me cry but then I cry at anything these days. I keep thinking I want to raise some meat birds but I would be emotionally attached more than i think I would. Killing anything is hard but like everyone says, those meat birds are designed for meat and if not killed humanely, they would surely suffer and die.

So sorry about the battery hens illnesses. Hope the others continue to thrive. Wondering if the antibiotic=death was just coincidence. Not knowing is the worst.

Today is my husband's b-day--without his dog-- kills me. Anyway, my girls have been little trouble makers. They like to rearrange my mulch and unfortunately, the perrennials that are planted in the mulch. LOL I've had to put wire around just about everything sacred. They just love to scratch. I've slowly been planting my garden and with alot of wire, so far it's safe. I'm surprised they haven't discovered the asparagus patch but they seem to leave it alone. Yesterday they were out most of the day. I went out to check on them and they were all three snuggled next to one another just outside their run in the grass and shade taking a little ciesta. They were cute. Laying well and doing good. I heard that my rehomed girl is also doing well so hope that continues. 80 today and 50 on Sunday!! LOL Spring. :) Can't wait to see the pics of the hatchlings....that's got to be exciting.

We got our RIR the beginning of Oct and she is our best layer. Largest brown egg and she is the smallest of our three birds. Hang in there it is worth the wait.

We got our EE the same time we got our RIR and the EE is about 2 weeks older. She sits on that darn nest box every day (just to get our hopes up) and we are lucky if we get one egg a week from her. I am chalking it up to her being a late bloomer. She is our biggest chicken and lays the smallest little green egg. Pretty funny.
Sometimes bringing the cook book out when you are having "the talk" gives them motivation.
big_smile.png
. Ours were definitely over 20 weeks when they started. But not too much longer I am sure.
My RIR is definitely one of my best layers as well. My EE gives me about 4-5 eggs per week right now, sometimes more but she usually takes at least a couple days off. My BR's are great! They and my RIR share a nesting box and I can pretty much count on every day for them.
Wow those egg totals are astounding. I thought my 60 was a great number. Basically came from two of our hens as our EE remains a slacker.

Just wanted to update you that I processed my first meatie today. I was not emotionally ready but it had to be done. She was unable to walk freely on her own and the others began stepping on her and preventing her from getting to food and water. So the deed is done. Lots of prayers were said by me throughout the process. lots of slow preparation, lots of breaks and now the meat rests in the fridge for a few days until it is taste test time. I am completely spent emotionally and am thankful for the learning she provided. Thanks for being here.
It does really take an emotional toll. I think I felt kind of sad and thought about it for about a week. Then I slowly got past it. I was glad and proud of myself for it and the meat is awesome! But, I'm not necessarily looking forward to doing it again, even though I will. It gives you a whole new appreciation for your food.

MB - I am having to re-home 2 of my roosters today and tomorrow... having such a hard time with it. Has it gotten easier for you? My rooster isn't even mean - he's a sweetheart but we just have too many and I can't make my daughter get rid of her little silkie. The other one we are going to keep is a Blue Cochin (he's only 9 weeks old now) because we've wanted one for so long. I will be so upset if this cochin turns out to be mean after giving away my favorite EE.

MB - I am having to re-home 2 of my roosters today and tomorrow... having such a hard time with it. Has it gotten easier for you? My rooster isn't even mean - he's a sweetheart but we just have too many and I can't make my daughter get rid of her little silkie. The other one we are going to keep is a Blue Cochin (he's only 9 weeks old now) because we've wanted one for so long. I will be so upset if this cochin turns out to be mean after giving away my favorite EE.
Same here...having to rehome 4 today. That makes the 10th "pullet" that has turned out to be a rooster since we started keeping chickens in December. And i know my kids are going to want chicks when we go to the farm today. I dont want anymore chickens in my house!!!!

You guys! YOU GUYS! One of my girls laid their first egg today!!
wee.gif

I wasn't even checking for eggs, just opened up the nest box to do some cleaning out and there it was! The most perfect egg I have EVER seen if I do say so myself:

The color doesn't come across too well in the picture but it's a pale olive green. I was preparing myself for the possibility of a few dud eggs their first time, but this one has a super hard shell. It's totally awesome and perfect and I feel like a proud mom.

Last edited:
wee.gif

I wasn't even checking for eggs, just opened up the nest box to do some cleaning out and there it was! The most perfect egg I have EVER seen if I do say so myself:

The color doesn't come across too well in the picture but it's a pale olive green. I was preparing myself for the possibility of a few dud eggs their first time, but this one has a super hard shell. It's totally awesome and perfect and I feel like a proud mom.
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
clap.gif
Congratulations That's a beautiful egg!!!!

wee.gif

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

wee.gif

Congrats!!! It's hard to eat that first one - you just want to keep it forever!

wee.gif

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES....
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom