Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your opinion. I have four different size/shape/color eggs. I'm thinking that this means four different chickens are laying. Am I correct in my assumption?

Large/Dark, Medium/Light/Pointy, Medium/Dark/Roundish, Medium/Light/Roundish

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your opinion. I have four different size/shape/color eggs. I'm thinking that this means four different chickens are laying. Am I correct in my assumption?

Large/Dark, Medium/Light/Pointy, Medium/Dark/Roundish, Medium/Light/Roundish

Maybe, but maybe not. Egg color can vary slightly from day to day, and egg shape and size can vary a lot, especially when a hen first starts laying. I'd say you could have 2 layers, or 3 or 4. How many eggs are you getting each day?

Alarm went off at 2:45. Looked at alarm clock through bleary eyes. Turned off alarm clock. It sounded like a good idea at the time. Back to sleep. LOL. No eggs today, all faces, combs, and waddles VERY red today except the smallest chicken.

Hey all, I went into the run today and found blood everywhere, found my larger barred rock with a tear to one of the points of her comb and blood dripping. At the same time, I found my other barred rock attacking her everytime she went near. I cleaned up the comb and put a little neosporin on it. It quit bleeding but after that, every time she went near my other barred rock, the other one would attack her. So, I played referee for quite some time--i'm still frozen-- they all went in the coop and went to bed together in peace, but OMG, is this a new behavior that I'm going to need to worry about? I don't know if the injury was caused by the crazy one or if she may have gotten it hung on something?? I don't know, what the heck is happening? The crazy one would be the "top chicken" and the other one has always been 2nd in command. Thoughts? Suggestions?

So, how many chickens do you all have, and what are their ages?

I am pretty new to the whole chicken thing (picked up the fluffies in may as a Mother's Day gift) I had 5 then, and a couple months later we picked up some year olds from my uncle. So now I have 9 hens and 1 roo. We have 1 welsummer, 1 buckeye, 3 white Cochin, 1 barred rock, 1 white leghorn, 1 EE, and another that is supposed to be an americaunas but I think is also an EE. The babies began laying between 21 and 25 weeks.

I am getting 6 eggs a day between the 9 hens with only one or two laying every single day. I am waiting till spring kicks in around here and then will make the decision of which to hold onto and which need to go. I know one of the EE are not laying, and hasn't all winter... But I am having a hard time figuring which it is. I also think one of the young'ns are not laying. We get some pretty cold and short days up here, so I am trying to be patient and wait it out.

I am donating some of the fertile eggs to a local preschool for a lesson in farms and they will attempt hatching them, so hopefully come April, we will have babies again.

Hey all, I went into the run today and found blood everywhere, found my larger barred rock with a tear to one of the points of her comb and blood dripping. At the same time, I found my other barred rock attacking her everytime she went near. I cleaned up the comb and put a little neosporin on it. It quit bleeding but after that, every time she went near my other barred rock, the other one would attack her. So, I played referee for quite some time--i'm still frozen-- they all went in the coop and went to bed together in peace, but OMG, is this a new behavior that I'm going to need to worry about? I don't know if the injury was caused by the crazy one or if she may have gotten it hung on something?? I don't know, what the heck is happening? The crazy one would be the "top chicken" and the other one has always been 2nd in command. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Could just be a pecking order thing gone awry. Chickens have an instinct to keep going after things like bloody spots, so if you continue to notice it, I would spot treat the injury with some bluekote and keep watch. Maybe 2nd fiddle is trying to move up the ranks.

Back
Top Bottom