Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all having a great start to the warm weather,, and eagerly awaiting Summer like I am. Out of the 7 eggs I set in my first attempt, 4 hatched. One chick had a rough navel and also failed to thrive, so I have 3 new chicks. I had ordered 3 chicks from Meyer because I was convinced that I would only have 1 chick hatch. So... now I have a new little flock of 6 chicks. Of the three I hatched.. 2 are pure Amerucanas from Clark my black/lav split. My hen is black, so I had two black chicks. I also hatched one of my barred rock eggs with the Amer roo. These match produces sex linked chicks.. and I got lucky and had a hen. So, I now own a new lil Easter Egger girl. Hope she gives me some nice green eggs some where down the road. Of the chicks I got from Meyer, one is a Speckled Sussex, one White Maran, and one hybrid they call Austra White. (Black Australorp roo over white leghorn hen) . The Austra White will lay white eggs, which I am actually kind of excited about. SO NOW the wait begins for me. The Austra Whites can lay as early as 12 weeks.. so that will be interesting to watch. I am also excited for the Maran eggs. Hope they are somewhat dark,, as I realize she is a hatchery chick.

So, anyone here on board for some renewed EGG WAITING???? Cat.. what ever happened to your eggs under your turkey? Do we have new chicks yet?/ I'm dying to find out!

Come on peeps... I can hear the crickets chirping!

Hope you all had a great Mother's Day!

MB

I am so excited for you Melabella. Your chicks look so very cute. I am excited all over again for you. I look forward to the wait ;)
I am sorry to say that I have no chicks. I had to send the strangest text to my boss.... it said... "Eeeew... The turkey gave up on the eggs.... She told me so by leaving them and pooing all over my room and the house. We are doing cleanup.... ewww... I may be a little late..." I am very lucky that I have known my boss for 20 years and she has been to my house several times. I don't think anyone else would have believed me.... After this the turkey wanted out and we let her... she went straight to the run and went straight to her box. And now both her and one of my cuckoo Marans are broody.
I was afraid to open the eggs... I didn't want to see. I am not sure what went wrong. I am thinking of letting her try again. But not this week. I have some people who want eggs. It may be due to it being her first try... I am not sure. But with a chicken broodie as well... I am also thinking that I may want to wait till after I get rid of one of my roosters. That way I will know for sure what kind of mix I have. My blue Andalusian with one of the EE/Americana should give me an olive egger... I think. This could be so much fun... ;)

Dawwww look at all those lovely chicks! I wish/can't wait until I get to that stage with my ladies...

For the time being we're waiting for the first egg from our girls, and our blue one in particular, the cuckoo looks a bit further away from that stage for the time being, so I'm not expecting anything.

They're both supposedly 23 weeks old.

Our blue certainly looks like she's getting there to me, comb getting bigger, nice red cheeks, big fluffy panties, and what really got us going : she teased us a couple of times this weekend by singing that distinctive egg song whilst chilling under my sunbed.

What do you guys think? Any eggs for us soon or should we plan on being a bit more patient? :D

Hi Discodog... That is a really pretty girl you have there. Is she a Blue Andalusian? She looks like my girl a little... if she is then she has a good start. Even the girls get very large combs and wattles. And you should see my Roo ;) Huge combs and wattles.... My girl was over 7 months old when she started laying. But this all varies.... Please let us know here. I'm excited for you :)

Hi Catsol!

She is a beautiful girl, but not half as stunning as your Turkey, that picture is just precious! She isn't Andalusian though, a bit further north, French limousine blue ("poule bleue du limousin" or "poule bleue de France").

7 months will be nerve racking, she's our first girl (along with her mixed cuckoo marans buddy), especially if she keeps teasing us with her songs.

I guess her wattles and comb will be quite big too though, like your Andalusian, it feels like the wattles in particular just dropped out of her head over last week end! I'll keep you posted on the next developments ;)

Dawwww look at all those lovely chicks! I wish/can't wait until I get to that stage with my ladies...

For the time being we're waiting for the first egg from our girls, and our blue one in particular, the cuckoo looks a bit further away from that stage for the time being, so I'm not expecting anything.

They're both supposedly 23 weeks old.

Our blue certainly looks like she's getting there to me, comb getting bigger, nice red cheeks, big fluffy panties, and what really got us going : she teased us a couple of times this weekend by singing that distinctive egg song whilst chilling under my sunbed.

What do you guys think? Any eggs for us soon or should we plan on being a bit more patient?
big_smile.png

Hi Disco Dog!! Welcome to the waiting.. and the wanting.. and the "COME ON GIRLS!"

Beautiful girl there, so lovely! I will chime in with my complete non educated opinion,, it does seem that she need a bit more time, with her comb not quite there. Especially if you say that her breeds combs grow rather large. Wow... she is one pretty chicken. Never heard of her breed either. What color eggs do they lay?

Please keep us posted, would love to hear how it's going, and remember, we all understand your anticipation very well!

Good Luck!
MB

I realize this is 2 years later but wanted to let you know about our first experience with layers..... We got ours in April of 2013.. It was November before we saw any eggs at all... Now they lay daily. That is except for the 3 that turned out to be roosters. In fact they did not start laying until the first rooster crowed (at which time we still that she was a hen as he had not developed any rooster signs until the crow). I don't know if them being raised all together had something to do with the rooster maturing before the hens started laying...

@Dandelion : Wow! How old were they when you got them, that must have been a heck of a long wait, but worth the while now ;)

@Melabella : thanks, I'm glad that I'm not the only one dancing on their toes with anticipation here :p

Her breed is actually one of the most common ones around here, along with isabrowns and another blackish one I can't remember.

This is what she should look like when fully grown

I tried to get a picture of her today, but my little cuckoo superstar (who as you can see is even further away from giving us her first egg) kept getting in the way :

"Whatcha looking at?"

Bonus pic, my lovely boy doing a great job ignoring the girls scratching around him :

Disco... These pictures are great! I especially love this one. I also love your dog. He looks so kind and gentle. My best friend had a brown and tan dobby, his name was Dylan. Yes..it will be nice to wait for eggs and come back often and share. I love to see everyone's birds!

MB

Back
Top Bottom