Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Melabella

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys,

I have 9(number of pullets) -16 week old pullets from a July 23rd hatch date. I have just started to observe small changes in my flock. So far, my one mis sexed Roo has started crowing regularly after finding his voice after weeks of funny and comical attempts. I am seeing small changes in combs growing and reddining on 4 of the 9 girls. No squatting or mating behaviour noticed. My nest boxes are still blocked off but thinking about opening them today, bedding them down, and putting the wooden dummy eggs in that I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents! Lots of places for my girls to hide eggs in my small acerage, they bed down for naps in heavy brush along my properties border, and also many tall mature everygreens they run too when a hawk flies over head, so I want them to get used to the boxes. No eggs songs either.

I realize this is a crazy time of year for pullets to start laying in my location as well, but I have read that with first time layers reaching POL that I will still see some. I am in Upstate New York. Also no molting till next year. I am almost done with my last bag of grower crumble and at 16 weeks, I think it is ok to start crossing over to layer. Also thinking of starting to make some FF for them.

I have 2 sex link production reds, who I think will be the first to lay as they are meant to reach POL early. One of them is redding up with the comb and waddles. 2 Black Australorp who are beautiful and getting very big! One of them has red comb and waddles starting. 2 RIR, not too much change in them yet. 2 Barred Rock, again, one has some small changes in comb and waddles in relation to size and color. One Columbian Wyandotte with no changes yet.

So, anyone want to join me in learning, sharing facts, and observing? I am a first time newbie, and would love to join someone in the anticipation and excitement! ANy and all suggestions are welcome! Hoping someone will join me! I am going to try and post some pictures so you can get to see my girls.

Let's get some eggs soon!

MB

Come on guys,,, no one else in here with 16 week olds or about that waiting for eggs wanting to talk to an ol chick about their flocks.

We can wait and learn together!

Pretty plllleeeeeesssseeeee?
hide.gif

Don't leave me hangin...

Melabella,

Okay! I would love to join with you in the anticipation! I had actually forgotten I was (supposed to be!) anticipating new layers until I ran upon your post. I had to go back to my chicken book and count the weeks. I'm actually a bit ahead of 16. These were hatched out on June7th and 8th, making them almost 22 weeks. To my knowledge, no eggs yet.

I have five from that hatching, but one is a rooster... hasn't starting acting like much of one yet, but he is a beautiful Buff Orpington. The girls are one buff orp and three barred rocks.

The experience I have had with my breeds, I won't expect eggs for another few weeks, but I will tell you why I am (now! thanks to you!) so excited... we have gone through a molt, flock wide here, NO EGGS, well, very precious few for a few weeks now, so if these girls start laying in the dead of winter (which mine always have) then we will start having eggs again, nice, NICE :)

GS,

Thanks for the post! I was starting to feel very lonely here...jk, but it is So nice to meet someone that is hoping for eggs through the winter like I will be.

This is my first go round with owning chickens, so I am learning as I inch down the road towards the first egg. I keep thinking as the days keep shortning... someone has to give me an egg... it will be interesting to see.

My suprise Roo seems to be a nice guy so far. He just starting crowing with regularity, but no mating behaviour at all. In fact, one of my barred rock girls seems to be a bit tougher than him. When they do a stare down, it's usually him who backs away... quite funny. She seems to be the head pullet. I guess they are just acting like a married couple and giving each other a stare down.

I am so happy to have you aboard. Maybe now someone else will chime in..

How has the weather been so far near you? We had some effect as to wind where I am with Super Storm Sandy,, I lost 3 trees, but thankfully it was on the perimeter of the property, and are laying on my horse fence. I have to get them taken down.

Enjoy the day!, and thanks!
MB

Yeah Crafty Duck!

Welcome, and thanks for joining in the egg wait! I am going to post some new pics of the girls if they will stand still long enough! Do you have any pictures you can post!

Nice to meet ya!
frow.gif

MB

These are my three Barred Rocks I'm waiting on
smile.png
the two older girls just started laying about a month ago It's so exciting
celebrate.gif
Oh and that's a duck tail in the corner
lol.png

I have to get some better pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom