Any one with a Austrolorp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henney, Jan 13, 2010.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Question, do Austrolorp breed start laying eggs later? Whoopee my 6 month Austrolorp hasn't layed a egg yet. She squats, looks at the nest boxes, eats layer feed gets enough light and is big and beautiful. My red-sex link and Ameracauns's started laying at 3 mths. I'd like to hear from anyone with this breed.[​IMG]

2. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Mine was born in June and she just laid her first egg last week. Patience.

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Sadly I had to wait almost 9 months before my Australorp started to lay. I know that is not the norm for most owners. You say she squats? Its shouldn't be too long then. My girl started squatting about 5 days before she started to lay. Once she did start, she will lay consistantly every day.

Good luck!

4. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I have 2 Australorps that are sisters. One started laying at just over 5 months and the other didnt start until a month an a half later! I guess its a crap shoot when they start but it's worth the wait. With both, I got 5 eggs the first week they started laying and an egg from each every day since without fail.

The pullet that started laying first has continued to lay small eggs while the pullet that started afterwards lays much bigger ones.

Patience is the hardest [​IMG]

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Yes, this breed does tend to start laying later than some others. However, once they start you will not be disappointed. If they free range, does she have a nest somewhere else? Sounds like she is getting close to giving you lots of yummy eggs!! [​IMG]

eta: what does her comb look like? what color is it? It will get really red before she starts to lay. I used to be able to tell which of my girls had laid an egg by the color of their comb.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    mine started squatting at like 13 weeks of age and she didnt start laying till about 30 weeks of age

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Mine was born end of April 09. She started laying at 24 weeks old. She's still laying nearly one a day.

8. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    Mine took a good month or two after my Red Stars... I only have 1 hen but yes, she took forever. Now she lays very consistenly though!

9. dlolato

dlolato Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Pryor
    I have 50 and they are six months old and have been laying for about two weeks. Once they start laying, they are little egg machines!

10. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Ah, I feel better with all your answers, I guess I need to be more patient. Yes, her comb is red and she free range's. I've heard they are big eggs so it will be worth the wait! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by