Any one with a Austrolorp?

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
Question, do Austrolorp breed start laying eggs later? Whoopee my 6 month Austrolorp hasn't layed a egg yet. She squats, looks at the nest boxes, eats layer feed gets enough light and is big and beautiful. My red-sex link and Ameracauns's started laying at 3 mths. I'd like to hear from anyone with this breed.
hmm.png

Sadly I had to wait almost 9 months before my Australorp started to lay. I know that is not the norm for most owners. You say she squats? Its shouldn't be too long then. My girl started squatting about 5 days before she started to lay. Once she did start, she will lay consistantly every day.

Good luck!

I have 2 Australorps that are sisters. One started laying at just over 5 months and the other didnt start until a month an a half later! I guess its a crap shoot when they start but it's worth the wait. With both, I got 5 eggs the first week they started laying and an egg from each every day since without fail.

The pullet that started laying first has continued to lay small eggs while the pullet that started afterwards lays much bigger ones.

Patience is the hardest
smile.png

Yes, this breed does tend to start laying later than some others. However, once they start you will not be disappointed. If they free range, does she have a nest somewhere else? Sounds like she is getting close to giving you lots of yummy eggs!!
wink.png

eta: what does her comb look like? what color is it? It will get really red before she starts to lay. I used to be able to tell which of my girls had laid an egg by the color of their comb.

Last edited:
Mine took a good month or two after my Red Stars... I only have 1 hen but yes, she took forever. Now she lays very consistenly though!

I have 50 and they are six months old and have been laying for about two weeks. Once they start laying, they are little egg machines!

Ah, I feel better with all your answers, I guess I need to be more patient. Yes, her comb is red and she free range's. I've heard they are big eggs so it will be worth the wait! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom