Any other garndeners?

Justhatched

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
In May/June we got some butternut squash plants from a local nursery. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could plant the seeds from some of the squash and have them produce squash next spring?

I toss all my seeds in the compost pile and they come up on their own next spring. These plants always do way better than any I buy and plant.

Oh good! I've been planning my garden for next year and hoping to use some seeds I have including from vegetables purchased at a nursery. Today I made a butternut squash pie and saved some seeds. Then it dawned on me that they might not grow. Thank you for your replies!

um, it is not the question of if it will grow, but have they been cross pollinated with anything????
squash, pumpkins, zuccini and yellow squash are all in the family, just to name a few! I found this out the hard way this summer. I planted TONS of what i thought would be acorn squash, and i got huge green pumpkins (which i ripped up most of before i realized they were not orange inside cause they weren't ripe yet)
roll.png
I also had a lone mystery plant that seems to have been a cross between a butternut and yellow squash; it did so good i just left it be. it was good to eat!

Back
Top Bottom