Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Howzit Hawaiians,

Steven from Kailua-Kona here. Got some chicks from Dels in Hilo about 7-weeks ago and started building their coop this past weekend. The chicks are "supposed" to be pullets (3-wyandottes and 3-australorps). I'm kinda thinking that I only have 1 wyandotte (she looks like a classic silver laced). The other two have pretty much stayed black...Anyhow, time will tell. I'll post some pics and maybe someone can tell me if my suspicions are unfounded (hopefully).

Mahalo

Aloha from North Shore, Oahu!

I already posted in the intro thread and had quite the warm welcome. I've met another Oahu-based member who has been extremely helpful to me and I am very appreciative. No chickens yet, I am literally starting from ground up. There is a lot of yard work and building in my near future, but I am hopefully in the next few months going to have 2-4 baby chicks to raise. I look forward to chatting with and learning from some good local chicken owners.

Aloha from North Shore, Oahu!

I already posted in the intro thread and had quite the warm welcome. I've met another Oahu-based member who has been extremely helpful to me and I am very appreciative. No chickens yet, I am literally starting from ground up. There is a lot of yard work and building in my near future, but I am hopefully in the next few months going to have 2-4 baby chicks to raise. I look forward to chatting with and learning from some good local chicken owners.

Highly recommended asagi hatchery, they even have specialty breeds.
I am located ib pupukea

Aloha, I'm in Kalaheo on Kauai and very new to raising chickens! I found 3 newly-hatched babes stuck in a grate, and they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. Any advice welcome!

Been on BYC since 2013 when I first got into chickens, live in Hilo/upper Kaumana area.

Thank you Candi Salazar for peaking my interest in chickens again - Started off with my answering a CL ad for someone rehoming a chick that was being picked on, nearly bald. It was an Orpington which ended up being a Roo but oh so much personality. Hated having to rehome him, neighbor issues.

From then had gotten several chicks from her, Orpintons my favorite but then when they turned out to be Roos, I'd call her for rehoming help. She entrusted me to help her raise chicks, hatch to 8wks when they'd go back to her. It was so much fun, love it but wanted some of my own.

Had several different breeds from her & several times picked up chicks from Dels (Spring). I've tried the FF, it does save on feed cost & all it's claim; less poop, firm poop, less water consumption, etc... Unfortunately had to give up chickens for a bit but recently gave Candi a call and back to raising 2 RIRs & 2 EEs (12wks) on FF. They have their 'coop' in my patio, an mobile/temporary run with dog house in the yard & free range in my fenced yard ONLY when I'm home.

Hubby's in the process of constructing a permanent 8' x 12' , walk in run. Will have a roof, hang plastic/shade cloth on the weather (east) side, surrounded by ti leaf plants on the north & west side, south side has a Samoan coconut tree. Will hang plastic curtain on all sides for when the wind really blows.

QUESTION - With all the rain we get, up here it's even wetter & yard gets mushy/muddy. Any suggestion for the run flooring? Location is highest ground, doesn't puddle but knowing the weather here & chickens will get wet. Will let them eat down & dig up the grass but once that's gone, thought of putting down gravel with construction sand for easy cleaning? Thought of pine shavings but told hay instead? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Howzit.from hilo I'm a newbie was looking to purchase some malay/amer.s eramas if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be killers

Hello,
My name is Kaitlyn and I live out on the North Shore of Oahu. I recently started getting chickens in April. We had an order of four chickens that were born June 1st and one of the Barred Plymouth Rock chicks I got looks like it is turning out to be a male. We cannot keep a male chicken. I wanted to know if anyone was interested in taking him, or knows someone who would be interested?

Back
Top Bottom