Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Aloha from Puna, Big Island. I'm raising solely Silkies at present for a personal breeding project. They're my favorite breed for a number of reasons, but the entertainment factor certainly ranks high. My favorite hen just started laying recently and I can't wait to see how her babies turn out. She's very smart, inquisitive, alert and communicative.

Looking for Black Bearded Silkies (Rooster preferred), & Partridge Bearded Silkies (Hens preferred). Also interested in chicks, or hatching eggs of Black, Partridge, or a cross of the two.

Finding anything Bearded that isn't White has been next to impossible lately. If you or someone you know has Black Bearded birds, please message me asap! Mahalo.
Do are u currently still breeding silkies and if so do u have any available

Hi! I live in Honolulu have a 4 month old silkie chick who seems to be exhibiting rooster behavior and was wondering if anyone would be interested in having him should he start to crow. I would really like to keep him as he gets along great will the rest of the chicks and always comes to me but I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate any crowing. He was born tan with chipmunk stripes but turned orange.
961DBC83-5C42-41D3-82A7-5217266BBC9E.png

Hello Everyone!
I currently own a rouen duckling and live on Oahu. We use to have 2 ducklings but the one that we rescued off the streets had a broken leg and died before we could take her to the vet. Our current duckling is very lonely and I am currently looking for another friend for her. She is about 2-3 weeks old and I would like to find a ducking around her age or smaller because I'm afraid bigger ducklings will trample her. I've called every pet store in the area and a couple farms but no one has ducklings right now and they don't know when they'll get a new batch. Does anyone know where to find available ducklings on Oahu?

Aloha folks. I'm sharing an important and relevant petition on here, because it poses massive threat to our rights to keep roosters. As one person put it: Keep land zoned for Agriculture as is. Stop trying to change the Big Island to fit mainland standards. Resident's purchase Agricultural land so that they can farm and raise animals in peace. First it'll be the chickens. Then the goats. Then the sheep. Then the dogs, until there's nothing left. Stop trying to change the Big Island. Enough is enough.

And I agree. Please, please sign the petition below.

Petition:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petitio...and_zoned_as_Agricultural_OPPOSE_Bill_No_112/

Email:
After signing the petition, please also take a moment to batch email the addresses listed below in red. This may be even more impactful than the petition. You can very simply Copy and Paste all the email addresses at once to email all those people simultaneously. To do so, 1) Highlight all of the email text by clicking at the beginning and dragging your mouse down to the end, 2) press "Control" and "C" simultaneously, 3) press "Control" and "V" to paste what you selected into your email's "Recipient" field.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

I've prepared a sample text you can use to send as your email body if you don't have time to write out a full letter of your own:

>> I oppose the propositions of Bill 112. Firstly, it does nothing to distinguish between legitimate farming practices of raising chickens for meat, eggs, their abilities to help improve soil, or as pets, versus those of cockfighting. Secondly, it negatively impacts local chicken breeders who are not breeders of fighting birds, and cause damage to our local economy because of dwindled numbers of birds able to be produced to keep up with local demand on the scale that it exists. Thirdly, this bill damages any credibility to the notion that the County supposedly cares to encourage a real move for local sustainability of our food sources. Food "on the hoof" in the form of live roosters during disaster events like the aftermath of a hurricane, when the power has gone out and freezers thaw, is invaluable. <<

What is Bill 112?
Below explains what the stupid, short-sighted bill proposes:

((coppied from Jennifer Ruggles' facebook post))

For those of you interested in the Rooster Bill:

Bill 112, introduced by Councilmember O'Hara, would essentially make having more than 4 roosters, "tethered, caged, or otherwise maintained" on most properties in Puna, illegal. Bill 112 enforcement will be complaint driven, meaning will be based complaints by residents, (which will most often be neighbors). We need to hear from you. Bill 112's first committee meeting will be tomorrow, Tuesday, at 2pm. You can come and testify in person in Pahoa, (at 15-2879 Pahoa Village Rd) or Hilo (at 25 Aupuni St.). A link to the bill is attached, just click on it, even though it says, "Error", it will take you right to the bill.

If you cant make it, please send in your thoughts, (even if its just one sentence!) to:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

In Summary Bill 112:
1. Defines rooster farms as being more than 4 male chickens over 4 months old and;
2. Allows rooster farms in the ag and intensive ag districts only if:
a. The roosters are located at least 75 feet away from the property lines and;
b. As long as requirements of the department of health are met.

Bill 112 Detail, in Layman's Terms:
SECTION 1: "The council finds that rooster farms have become established in many communities in Hawai`i County. Unlike chicken farms, that produce eggs, hide, feathers, or meat, most rooster farms exist for the sole purpose of breeding and raising roosters for cock-fighting- an activity that is illegal in all fifty states. Because raising roosters is a noisy and smelly endeavor, rooster farms can have a detrimental effect on the occupants and land values of surrounding properties. Accordingly, the purpose of this ordinance is to alleviate the nuisance, and resultant reduction in property value, caused by rooster farms by identifying where and under what conditions they are allowed in Hawai`i County."

SECTION 2: Hawaii County Code will be to changed to add the following definitions:
“Rooster” means a male chicken over the age of 4 months.
“Rooster farm” means any parcel of land or facility where more than four roosters are tethered, caged, or otherwise maintained.

SECTIONS 3 and 4: The following uses shall be permitted in the Agricultural and Intensive Agricultural districts:
(lists all the permitted activities, and changes the following):
…(17) Livestock production, (excluding rooster farms), provided that piggeries, apiaries, and pen feeding of livestock shall only be located on sites approved by the State department of health and the director, and must be located no closer than one thousand feet away from any major public street or from any other zoning district.

(22) Rooster farms provided that:
The requirements of the department of health are met; and
Any house, teepee, run, hutch, or other enclosure for the keeping or exercising of any rooster is located at least 75 feet from any property line...

SECTION 7: The bill takes effect upon approval. Current rooster farms will have 180 days to comply.

-----------------------------------------------------

Understand that many properties do not have wide enough spans to "meet" their demands. I bought my place years ago so I could raise chickens there in peace.

Also understand that this is not a legitimate attack on only "rooster farms", but on ALL of us who are breeding chickens, regardless of the purpose and regardless of how well cared for they are. This cannot be allowed to pass, because it opens up the doors for more push against those of us who keep chickens. This is not a legitimate fix for anything they're claiming it to be for.

We killed the bill! MAHALO NUI LOA to everyone who showed up to testify against Bill 112! And huge thank yous to everyone who could not attend and speak out in person, but helped share the information and spread the word about what was happening.

This Bill was an attempted sneak attack on our rights, and thanks in large part to fellow chicken breeders, to pet lovers and those who have them as therapy animals, and many who understand their important role in Permaculture and overall management of agricultural systems, the knowledge and passion for this very important part of our lives was exercised to defend our ways of life.

The testimony was so overwhelmingly against the bill that not a single other member of the Council would second it, and it died, right then and there. There couldn't be a more fitting way for it to have ended... with a whimper. The one who proposed this all in the first place, Eileen O'Hara, only managed to prove that she does NOT represent the will of the People, and in fact she betrayed us by not ever asking for our input. She met with only 25 people - 25 out of over 60,000 - and never asked for further input or commentary. This woman is deceitful, self-serving, and does not have our best interests in mind.

I have to say I am so proud of my fellow Puna denizens and the rest of the Big Islanders who spoke out against this!

Remain vigilant, guys! You never know where or when this kind of idiocy is going to pop up.

Back
Top Bottom