Any reason NOT to add vitamins in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chocobo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I have read that when chickens aren't doing well due to heat people add some vitamins and electrolytes to their water.
    I just put out my six-week old chicks and am looking at a heat index of 105-110 and have some left over Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes from when one of my chicks was sick.
    http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=99:vitamins-and-electrolytes&Itemid=64
    Any reason I shouldn't just add it to the water to be on the safe side?
    If I do add it should I use the normal amount or lower the concentration?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I add vitamins a few times a week all year around. Normal amount. It won't hurt a thing but I use plastic waterers not metal.

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Watch for water quality deterioration. It happens faster in warm weather.

Laying hens especially benefit from additional electrolytes when they are stressed from heat and drinking a lot of water. Egg shell quality can deteriorate when the birds drink a lot and pant heavily. It is a CO2 thing. Why the electrolytes help I do not know but it is a common practice in the commercial poultry industry especially for hens producing hatching eggs in warm weather.

Follow directions, they probably can not utilize heavier doses.

4. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Quote:What precisely do you mean by water quality deterioration?

5. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    He may be talking about water becoming stale/stagnant or lack of oxygenation in warm weather (in general).

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You could try keeping some smaller waterers with the vitamins/electrolytes and refrigerate them before taking them out. Even though it's a bit wasteful with high summer temps you may end up changing the mixture during the day so it doesn't turn rancid or they quit drinking.

I've been freezing bottled water bottles and putting 2 per 3 gallon waterer in between noon and 2pm here. They've kept the water cool until we go dump them when we feed in the evening about 6pm, and seem to be keeping the girls drinking more water than they were.
    Our heat indexes for this week are 110 and we have very humid weather also. I dump the bottom of the waterer out, close it and add the bottle waters inside..swish around to cool the water, and then re open the spout. They come running when they see me with the ice bottles now [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by