Any RIR experts here to help with gender?

I included these photos in an updated post about my entire flock but I wanted to update growth here. The comb and wattles are pink/reddish but not nearly as red as my obvious cockerel in the bunch (not sure the breed on that one). This chick also has thicker legs than the other pullets but is about the same size body wise.

View attachment 3582913View attachment 3582935
Here is mine at the same age as yours. And a picture from like five mins ago I was already outside 😅. She will be 16 weeks Monday. So there still might be hope for yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.png
    IMG_0353.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 11
My RIR is about 5-6 weeks old (probably closer to 6) and the past two days I noticed its comb growing and waddle appearing. Really hope this doesn't mean Cockerel. Any input? I know 8 weeks is better to sex but I'm getting concerned.
I'm not an expert, but I have 4 RIB. The Rhode Island half seems predominate in the wattles and combs. All of my girls have always had more comb then the other breeds. Right now at 20 weeks they are very large and the wattles too. Some bigger then the others and some paler then the others. I would not jump to the conclusion that its a cockerel. The age yours are its still hard to tell. I know its hard to wait and find out, but give it a bit more time.

I'm not an expert, but I have 4 RIB. The Rhode Island half seems predominate in the wattles and combs. All of my girls have always had more comb then the other breeds. Right now at 20 weeks they are very large and the wattles too. Some bigger then the others and some paler then the others. I would not jump to the conclusion that its a cockerel. The age yours are its still hard to tell. I know its hard to wait and find out, but give it a bit more time.
completely agree.

I included these photos in an updated post about my entire flock but I wanted to update growth here. The comb and wattles are pink/reddish but not nearly as red as my obvious cockerel in the bunch (not sure the breed on that one). This chick also has thicker legs than the other pullets but is about the same size body wise.

View attachment 3582913View attachment 3582935
Looks like a slower developing cockerel to me. I'd say by 12 weeks old they are pretty obvious. Around 11-12 weeks they start growing all their male feathers. But, I could be wrong. There still is a possibility of it being a pullet, it's just not as likely.

Back
Top Bottom